Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss What would help you buy better from suppliers in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. InQuote

InQuote New EF Member

Business Name:
    InQuote
    THIS IS NOT ADVERTISING.

This is market research as such.

I am looking to create an online subscription website that will assist electricians of all sizes to purchase better, saving them time and money on their material purchasing from electrical suppliers.

The concept is a monthly subscription with different packages (each at a different price and allowing different features) but the main one I am concentrating on now, is the standard package, est. £15 - £20 per month to give you access to the website. Each will have a free trial period for the customer to use the website and upload their own documents such as quotes / invoices / statements.

Registration Process
    1. Register your business and select your package
    2. Enter your business details and be issued an email address (E.G [email protected]) which you would give to suppliers to email any quotes/invoices/statements to (you can still request them to be sent to you too).
    3. You choose your suppliers that you have credit accounts with and want to send quote requests to, and ones you expect to receive emails from. (the website will display general details about the suppliers in your area, but you can input your specific account manager if you have one for each supplier)

Sending Quotes
    You will also be able to send quote requests to your selected suppliers, which will email the chosen suppliers and request a quote for the materials you enter into the website. Each request can be set as a “Project” and allocated a budget and deadline.

1. Enter the project name and budget.
    2. Choose the suppliers you wish to contact.
    3. Enter the materials required and send the request.
    4. When suppliers reply back with the quote, the system will import all the details and products quoted and display them on one page
    5. You can accept the quote that you like, sorting it based on price or availability. The quote screen will look very similar to this:

Target Market
    I believe most contractors will have a need for this service, a one-man band contractor might spend £1k a month on electrical purchasing and this will A) help save them money and B) save time on purchasing. Larger contractors and limited businesses will spend a great deal more and benefit from using this system as their purchasing system.

If you have any view on using a system, would you find this benificial and what would you like to see?

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  2. haptism

haptism Regular EF Member

Does your system have the power to Haggle ??

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. InQuote

InQuote New EF Member

Business Name:
    InQuote
    Your right, Nogotiating the best price can not be replaced by any system, and still requires you to have a relationship with any supplier.

Saying that, it could email one supplier saying that "your quote was £20 more expensive, please review" in a word.

But isn't haggling with all your suppliers a time consuming and tedious task ?

4. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

There is more to buying kit than simply going for the cheapest price.

End of.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. Rpa07

Rpa07 3000 posts - only 50554 behind Telectrix! Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Ebenezer electrical
    Ambulance chasing with a disguise and a hat! Why don’t people just work hard anymore instead of turning people against each other (that’s all it is)
    Doing this sort of thing to the economy is like tuning an F1 car, it’s so highly tuned that you can’t rev them out of gear - kaboom!
    Just my opinion, I’ve been fitting ceiling fans today, you know!
    upload_2018-5-3_17-5-47.jpeg
    From that to that! I despair!

6. Gavin John Hyde

Gavin John Hyde Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Sulis Electrical Services Ltd
    I
    Hope you did your safe isolation...worked on one of them once that had got wet from a bathroom leak. Was a bit hit and miss whether it would work.
    Get up there and just tapped it and next thing i know is its spinning like a damn helicopter and nearly took my head off. Lesson always isolate and never assume that because the switch did nothing that the circuit is dead

• Like Like x 1
  7. littlespark

littlespark Electrician's Arms

Someone PAID you to put up a ceiling fan? Surely that's a job for a DIYer?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  8. Rpa07

Rpa07 3000 posts - only 50554 behind Telectrix! Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Ebenezer electrical
    I had to look at the instructions which are now in the international picture language! I think it has made me irritable for the rest of the day!

9. davesparks

davesparks Trusted Advisor

Suppliers get wound up by people trying to haggle, or complaining about a £20 difference to other suppliers. This just results in a bad relationship with the supplier and more trouble down the line.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Adam W

Adam W Electrician's Arms

The last company I worked for used this model - I would request parts then a woman in the office would get quotes from different suppliers for things she knew nothing about. It was a nightmare - I always seemed to get SWA with white numbered cores instead of coloured, I'd get sent their own brand of cable tray because on a certain occasion it was a bit cheaper than the last supplier so we'd end up with 4 or 5 different types in several different sizes, none of which would fit together. Some suppliers don't stock Wagos, only line connectors, so those would end up on the shelf or in the bin. If I had to change an accessory it was pot luck what it would look like so there was the danger that nothing would match, so I ended up specifying MK for everything because it's something every supplier stocks, but as we all know it's the most expensive, so it didn't save any money.

The company I work for now use one local supplier. The guy who owns it used to work for the company. We use Crabtree accessories which they keep on the shelf.
    It's easier.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  11. 123

123 Electrician's Arms

I don't see the point of this.

If I have a project I need priced up by multiple wholesalers I'll put it in an email and CC it to all wholesalers I want to quote for the project. When their quote is ready, I'll find it in my inbox. All without the requirement for a monthly subscription.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. anthonybragg

anthonybragg Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    CHARLTEC ELECTRICAL LTD
    Same here we only have two accounts ask for their keenest price if they can't give me their keenest price to me the first time it's too late I spec what manufacturer eg MK Eaton etc.I want one email sorted.

13. elsparko

elsparko Regular EF Member

wholesalers need to have refreshments in the shop, a toilet and good banter

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Vortigern

Vortigern Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    F.H. Electrical
    THIS IS NOT AN ADVERT
    I have a car for sale.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Adam W

Adam W Electrician's Arms

I agree with the refreshments and toilet, I like a bit of banter as long as it's not at the expense of speedy service - there's nothing worse than being in a rush and the guys behind the counter are just dicking about, or like in a certain national chain where there's one kid behind the counter and you can see the rest of them having a party out the back with their 'regulars club'.

• Agree Agree x 3