• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss What would you do - inaccessible JB in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Midwest

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Doing a kitchen refurb, adding new RFC etc. After stripping out all the old stuff, I'm left with a JB which will be inaccessible, which had been used to feed a spur form the existing house RFC. The spur leg has been removed, but still leaves the JB. Whoever did the JB, didn't cut the conductors, just removed the sheathing & insulation to do the joint.

Once the ceiling goes back up, this JB will be inaccessible. To replace this JB with an MF JB, will require some rewiring & damage to decoration to the room above, as the cables to JB will be too short.

What would you do, replace or leave as is?

Is this connection on the circuit you are changing?

Nope. This RFC is the only one currently in the house, and its being removed from the kitchen. There is another socket on this RFC, which will need to be removed from the kitchen, can't rewire the legs, 'cos of floor coverings above, so the ends of the legs for this bit will go in a MF joint.

Just this one, need to decide what to do?

It's a bit b like this shiny new CU;

View attachment 38890

What would you do about the tails and main earth on this? On an EICR it's probably a C2

Probably bring it to the attention of the owner, explain it's not right but unlikely to cause any problems, and if they want it altering then sort it out.
If other issues were apparent then I might worry more.

I'd be a bit more worried about that 'Important Safety Notice' below the CU. I have one of those, and it wasn't until about 5 years later, that I found out what the ---- had done to my chimney pot;

What would you do - inaccessible JB IMG_1513.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

I'd be a bit more worried about that 'Important Safety Notice' below the CU. I have one of those, and it wasn't until about 5 years later, that I found out what the **** had done to my chimney pot;

View attachment 38896
Haha thats a right lash up if ever I saw one! Why is the pot so low down? I reckon you commissioned that on purpose with a sign that said "f*** off Father Xmas" on it.

I would like to see the tails glanded and clipped. It looks like they are hanging loosely out of 20mm grommets and so will be pulling on the board isolator (?).

Doing a kitchen refurb, adding new RFC etc. After stripping out all the old stuff, I'm left with a JB which will be inaccessible, which had been used to feed a spur form the existing house RFC. The spur leg has been removed, but still leaves the JB. Whoever did the JB, didn't cut the conductors, just removed the sheathing & insulation to do the joint.

Once the ceiling goes back up, this JB will be inaccessible. To replace this JB with an MF JB, will require some rewiring & damage to decoration to the room above, as the cables to JB will be too short.

What would you do, replace or leave as is?

It's a bit b like this shiny new CU;

View attachment 38890

What would you do about the tails and main earth on this? On an EICR it's probably a C2

Looks like a crabtree board. Don't like them either but have used and bored out 40mm hole in centre underside, where larger knockout is. Fixed in a nylon gland where bung had 2 holes for tails and 1 for earth. Ask wholesaler for these glands and they can get them

Reply to What would you do - inaccessible JB in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back