Discuss What would you have and why? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Leader

-
Reaction score
So my partner and I have possibly lost our minds and bought and old chapel which, all being well, we'll start to convert in 2 or 3 months. I want it to be all singing and dancing in terms of lighting/audio/etc but I also want it to be unobtrusive. I don't have any experience working in high tech/posh gaffs so what works and what doesn't? Some of the ideas I have are:
1) PIR presence detectors in some areas e.g. Around the gallery and games room
2) push to break door switches on larder/dressing room
3) hidden speakers
4) a control unit to dim down lights, turn on floor leds, turn on projector and drop screen down (if feasible without costing an arm and a leg)

I'd love to hear what you'd have! And anything to steer clear of because they're a problem waiting to happen.

There's one across from my house which a guy bought over 20 years ago, worked on it for a year and then gave up, it has been derelict ever since. Good luck with yours, though!

Edit: Mind you, he did try putting a swimming pool in the basement. I'd avoid that.

Seriously though, sounds like you've got a blank canvass. Do you even know where to start? Is the building in reasonable condition? How's the roof?

We have an architect so we'll have a good idea where to start. The roof needs to be replaced as it's fibrous, a structural engineer will tell us if we need to replace trusses etc. We're starting with the expectation that we need to replace all of it so anything else is a bonus. We can get floor joists that allow pipe work and cables to be run anywhere without the need for notching or drilling and the walls will all have cavities behind a dry wall so running cables around *should* be fairly straightforward.

It was last used in 1995 so there is a slim possibility it'll fall down when the roof comes off but that's all part of the excitement.

Hidden speakers I've installed can be plastered over. The speaker has a special sub woofer to minimise the vibration but still retain bass levels which won't crack the plaster. These speakers can be well and truly hidden... I fitted these whilst working at Jason oranges house (take that) was working for company that done high end installs like crestron tablets that control anything you wanted. LED strips. Cold cathode dimmable lighting. Lutron etc etc to name a few

I've seen those hidden speakers and that's the kind of thing I was thinking of. Are they good? I'm conscious of being sold on the idea of something that's turns out to be not all its cracked up to be. I want to do it once and for all.

I'll have a look at those Crestron tablets, thanks!

Have a look at Loxone, have fitted a couple but it can get expensive when fitting motorised blinds/ curtains, heating controls, water harvesting, Multi room music and TVs, not as expensive as some of the others out there but still expensive

I thought about motorised blinds, I think they would be a good idea as the windows are very high and we'd have to go up onto the gallery to operate them. Heating controls would also be good. I don't even know what water harvesting is??

Wow that AV forum has a lot of info to get your head around! Should find some good advice there thanks.

I thought about motorised blinds, I think they would be a good idea as the windows are very high and we'd have to go up onto the gallery to operate them. Heating controls would also be good. I don't even know what water harvesting is??
Rainwater harvesting: Typically bury a huge plastic tank in the garden and use it to store the rainwater from the roof. Use the water for flushing loos, watering the garden and washing the car. I've been involved in installing one system. No idea whether it's financially worthwhile, but it's clearly 'green' to reduce mains water consumption.

Obviously you need to have the loos, outside taps, etc. plumbed in separately to the mains water taps.

1) PIR presence detectors in some areas e.g. Around the gallery and games room
2) push to break door switches on larder/dressing room

I have PIR occupancy switches in my garage and shed. I've also fitted one to a utility room. Works really well when set to a couple of minutes. Just don't fit one where an automatic light might be a nuisance on occasions. I'd probably also use one for cupboards instead of a door switch.

Rain water harvesting - big plastic tank buried in the ground with pump and filters inside it, all down pipes from guttering feeding it, the pump then feeds a tank in the loft which feeds your toilets and washing machine, the loxone mini server tells the pump to pump when the water in the loft tank gets to a certain level so the pump will not run every time you have a poo or the wife washes your Y fronts , if your on a water meter you get charged for the water you use and they then charge you for sewage which is worked out on the amount of water you have used, so if your toilets and washing machine and being supplied by the water tank buried in the garden it will save you money and this will help to pay for the System and the Electric the pump uses, think it's a bit like solar you get your money back in 20 years

Reply to What would you have and why? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock