Discuss Whats a new circuit in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

the pict

-
Mentor
Reaction score
I have quoted for remedial work after water damage to a domestic dwelling, after a weeks dehumidification and drying out the IR on lighting and ring finals are still unacceptable basically no resistance at all, So a rewire job, is this then a "new circuit" with the usuall implications,
Pict

As in Part P ? You could technically get away with replacing damaged cable and not have to notify it.

If for certification I would do an EIC as you are going to be installing new cable and be getting different results on your schedule of results.

What is your IR by the way. Is that with all accessories disconnected as in most cases with a fllood it would be the sockets and the fittings which would be the reason for a low Resistance.

Before I would go down the new cable route I would be using an hair dryer around the place on all accessories.

At a guess and without looking into the information,I thought any flood damaged accessories had to be replaced regardless of present condition
Excuse the interuption if I am wrong

cant remeber the IR but is was in the low 10's IE 0000010 with a big X all the accesories have been removed and delamped fortunately part P is not an issue, I will be required to submit an EIC to the insurers with my invoice. my quote however will be for a rewire of all ground floor circuits and a new CU if the get shirty about the extent of work I want to state my reasons, namely all new circuits must conform to xxxx of the regs cant lay my hands on the BRB to look up definitions "new circuit" gave it to the lad to swot up on stuff
Pict

It's easier to say that all new circuits must conform to BS 7671:2008.

I doubt if you'll have any problems with the insurance company, we've done 7 of these flood jobs since November and been paid promptly on all but 1 and that only took 4 weeks.

Watch out for any NICEIC requirements from the insurance company, you don't mention if you're a scheme member.

How is Part P not an issue on this job?

cant remeber the IR but is was in the low 10's IE 0000010 with a big X all the accesories have been removed and delamped fortunately part P is not an issue, I will be required to submit an EIC to the insurers with my invoice. my quote however will be for a rewire of all ground floor circuits and a new CU if the get shirty about the extent of work I want to state my reasons, namely all new circuits must conform to xxxx of the regs cant lay my hands on the BRB to look up definitions "new circuit" gave it to the lad to swot up on stuff
Pict

That I think would come under new circuits

No your quite right the ESC do advise you to change all switches and sockets. I was classing equipment and accessories as sockets and there they advise just an assessment, So that was my mistake and aplogise to the OP for mis information.

Lol, that explains the Part P bit then :)

Funny :) lol.

If the insurance company asks for a reg to back up your rewire show them the test results of the damaged cable and then you have an arsenal of regs on the i+t on your side. Show them what the cable minimum acceptable levels for the cable you are replacing.

The rules up here vary according to the weather, 2 years ago I did a load of work on a farm and the guy was getting local authority grant, so before he could get his cash he had to submit a completion cert for the building and the electrical work, I gave him a EIC a green one cos I am not a scheme member and the council did not accept it, A week later I got a call from the same buliding control officer asking me if I wanted to be included on the approved contractors list, I told him the story above and he said that OK i'v been out and seen your work, But I do stay in a remote corner of the west coast where tradesmen are scarce apart from the Joe Whosit "Roofer,Plasterer,Tiler,Plumber Electrician" brigade of bodgers
Pict

Reply to Whats a new circuit in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock