Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

Discuss What's going on Here? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. gazzamikes

gazzamikes Electrician's Arms

Good evening everyone. Went to change my parents CU for them yesterday, I've never looked at the supply before, even when I lived there. I looked at the supply and there is no main earth? The only bonding there is. Is 10mm to the gas. First thought the gas was being used as earth but with connected ze 1.27 and with it disconnected 1.24 so this obviously isn't the case. They live in Norwich 1950's house along the biggest road through Norwich.

Does the system require me to call dno for PME upgrade? I remember about two years ago looking the next doors for a rewire and am sure they where TN-C-S .

What do you guys recommend?

Thanks!

2. gazzamikes

Sorry Zs I mean guys

3. Knobhead

Knobhead Guest

A picture of the service head would be useful, otherwise we’re guessing.
    Not a good thing to do.

4. gazzamikes

Hi tony I didn't even think of a pic at the time I'll need to take one thanks

5. gazzamikes

It appears to be oval and cast?

6. GLENNSPARK

GLENNSPARK Electrician's Arms

old cast iron cutout then here.....just your luck as DNO`s are changing em free of charge....so should be able to PME your supply at the same time....just leave a length of 16mm earth for em ready....and they should connect it into the neutral link in the new cutout when they come to fit it....

7. gazzamikes

That's great thanks for the help. So I can change board and test then retest when dno have done? Sorry for sounding imcompetant but never come across this it