Discuss Whats the best cowboy job you've seen? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

Edwardioo

at a job today and saw a plug pluged into a socket followed the flex and it went into the wall and was chased up the wall feeding 4 wall lights lol... Good Stuff! :p

i have seen 6mm laid from the cu through a wall and then laid on the floor under carpets and floor runners up to the cooker outlet. oh and then it got better as they trimmed back all the cores and only used 2 as they could not get them all in

i have seen 6mm laid from the cu through a wall and then laid on the floor under carpets and floor runners up to the cooker outlet. oh and then it got better as they trimmed back all the cores and only used 2 as they could not get them all in

sounds beautiful!

Only four wall lights! You have to do better than that.
How about a 9.5 kw shower wired into a lighting circuit with 1mm t/e. The guy was adament there was something wrong with the shower because it tripped everytime he switched it on.
Do you laugh or cry ??

Only four wall lights! You have to do better than that.
How about a 9.5 kw shower wired into a lighting circuit with 1mm t/e. The guy was adament there was something wrong with the shower because it tripped everytime he switched it on.
Do you laugh or cry ??

haha i've heard something similar but i think it was in 2.5 t+e lol.. How do people get away with things like this?

i once seen a socket cable extended in car flex :eek::eek: the one where the kettle and toaster had been plugged in for a good old 2 years ish before it melted

i posted one on here last year, wher a double metalclad socket has been wire directly in to the incoming side of a switched fuse, no earth/cpc, and the RCD coming from the aforementioned switched fuse had been bypassed, feeding street lights on a caravan site.

Slight change of subject.
I once saw a young sparkie struggling with a plug in rose, (He was tired long day) He plugged it in and then carried on making the flex off BANG !!!!!!!

i posted one on here last year, wher a double metalclad socket has been wire directly in to the incoming side of a switched fuse, no earth/cpc, and the RCD coming from the aforementioned switched fuse had been bypassed, feeding street lights on a caravan site.

best ones similar Streetlights burning all day ,found on "Hand" returned to normal assumed vandals next day same call after 4 calls gaffer came out and we found U/G split concentric this was an over head installation disconnected U/G drove round the corner and watched as an old wummin from Show peoples site came and opened box n turned lights back on followed by 3 guys looking at end of cable We couldnt beleive it as the cable was in duct and purple even the pavement was tarred and reinstated all neat as you like

Many years ago was installing underground sockets for various events. a chrimbo fair had arrived and was setting up...myself and a colleague were stripiing some SWA when when of the fairground workers came over as said....how much would that wire take???? he was looking at the waste armouring strewn around the floor!!!! thinking he meant weight wise I replied 'quite a lot mate'. it was a hefty SWA.....he asked for some so we gave it to him.......we then later saw him using it in rewireable fuses on his carousel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I went to a house once which had a 2.5mm extension lead plugged into the ring main. The lead then run from that house to the next one. There instead of a socket at the end, I found another plug top which was plugged into their ring main. This then back feed the entire house via the distribution board. On further inspection found no meter fitted but the tails were nice and live.

Just been to a job and there was a 1.5mm supply for the immersion water heater on a 32 amp circuit breaker and 2 wall heaters wired seperatly back to a 32 amp circuit breaker Well lets face it 2 16 = 32

Shower fed from socket in bedroom which was on a 3036 fuse , 6mm run underneath bath then up to a 45dp sw next to shower curtain. On close inspection of switch there was rust inside the pattress. I was called to have a look at the job because the son was complaining he had no socket in the bedroom just a bunch of connectors taped up !

went to change 5ft fitting in a utility room took cover of fitting and found all earth twisted together & taped loop lives connected into earth terminal,
tested fitting metal casing 240v live, it was only the paint that stopped you getting a belt

My college tutor told me this one. Tutor goes to a job where customer says sockets not working. Tutor opens up sockets in the room finding no wires in them whatsoever. Tutor asks customer who did the wiring. Customer says he put the sockets up. He actually believed the sockets would just work without wires. lol

I had one with the main incoming service head was wired back to front P in N and N in P, i was trying to perform a dead test, and noticed all light fittings had black burn marks around them, got the old fluke 1000 voltage tester out all was ok, as the switches were in the of position, then testded P to E all good then N to E and Bingo 230v, looked in db all looked good Main switch was still on all brakers off meter tails all good, i (didnt) remove the main fuse and bingo still live, man did somone get a king . the thing is that it was only tested about 3 month before, and certed, and the local lec should of tested it before.

Last edited by a moderator:
My college tutor told me this one. Tutor goes to a job where customer says sockets not working. Tutor opens up sockets in the room finding no wires in them whatsoever. Tutor asks customer who did the wiring. Customer says he put the sockets up. He actually believed the sockets would just work without wires. lol

Had this at a firm I used to work for. Women in the office who you rang to order stuff off got a foreman to have a look at her new sockets that didnt work, yep no cables he asked what she thought we did with all the cable we order off her every week. He said she just gave me a daft look, I didnt think people could be that thick.

Reply to Whats the best cowboy job you've seen? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net