Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

Discuss What's the largest size array for a 60 amp cable head fuse? Single phase. in the Solar PV Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Scuba

Scuba EF Member

SP Networks are the DNO. Smallholding with single phase and 60 amp cable head fuse. What's the largest size likely to get approval?

2. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    normally 100A if you're lucky. anything over that, it's time to consider 3 phase.

3. Scuba

Scuba EF Member

Thanks for the response. What does that equate to in kW? Getting 3 phase in is out of the question.

4. davesparks

davesparks Trusted Advisor

You're probably better off asking the DNO.

I think Tel thought you meant what's the maximum size a single phase supply could be, as I thought you were asking the same thing until I noticed this is in the PV section so I assume you actually want to know what the max size of PV you could have is?

5. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    my bad. didn't read OP properly.

6. spinlondon

spinlondon Trusted Advisor

I believe that for G83, the maximum is 16kW.

7. jason121

jason121 Electrician's Arms

Depends on the DNO. I have never been approved more than 5kw on single phase.

8. Worcester

Worcester Trusted Advisor

We've got 2 17kW single phase PV systems in our village, very much DNO dependant and what else is on that phase from the substation.
    one installed in 2012 the other on 2015, different phases same substation, no other PV systems attached to those phases.

if you get > 8kW you will have done well.

9. Scuba

Scuba EF Member

SP Networks are the DNO.
    It's an established smallholding with a single phase supply with a 60 amp cable head fuse.
    I'm trying to gauge the maximum size of solar panel array in kW likely to be approved. Roof space isn't a problem.

Regarding a previous response of 5 kW on single phase, I recently got approval for a 10.9 kW array on a domestic house with single phase but 100 amp cable head fuse.

10. TedM

TedM Electrician's Arms

There is no real alternative to asking the DNO. Everything else is just guesswork, and it depends entirely on the local network circumstances.

Most likely a smallholding has a dedicated transformer on to a 11kV 1-phase overhead line, and neighbours will all be on their own transformers as well, so that would be in favour of a larger connection.

Some DNOs (e.g. WPD) publish interactive maps on their website that show possible connection limitations for distributed generation. But in the end, all you can do is ask them.

11. Gavin A

Gavin A Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Leeds Solar
    60A feed, I doubt you'll get more than 16amps solar, but depends if they put in a bigger supply cable than that would indicate, length of cable, transformer, if the neighbours have any, whether the DNO engineer got laid the night before etc

12. The Solar King

The Solar King Electrician's Arms

The people at SP Energy Networks are really helpful, and will also give you a verbal decision over the phone you can then work from for a G59 application.

Biggest I had was a split phase at 18kW (9kw each phase), but that was with SSE and at 100amps.