Discuss Whats the wierdest things/thing you have eaten, keep it clean please in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

When on one of my regular trips to south africa visiting friends and family. We had what was called farmers suasage, it comes in a whirl.
Tasted nice, lots of nice pepper and other seasonings in it.
Asked the woman in the small food place up near springbok on the number 7 highway. she points to a picture on the wall and says all of them! turns out the farmers sausage consisted of whatever wildlife was around at the time mixed with a bit of pig, a bit of beef etc...
In cape town back in 2004 there was a place by the harbour where all the meats were braai'd (bbq) in the restuarant. they did a safari menu and it was good.
Ostrich is really nice, nice lean and full of protein, but dont over cook.
Warthog is like boar
Snake is like a chewy chicken
springboks and kudu (another sort of dear type animal) are like a strong venison
Zebra was nice, never eaten horse but assume its the same, thought it was like a cross between beef and venison.
I didnt have crocodile, giraffe or shark, but there was a menu like something out of a attenborough documentary!
Im going back to cape town on holiday in the new year so looking forward to some meat eating!

Once went to a farmers market and got some ostrich mince, ostrich sausages & ostrich steaks.. Not as good as beef.

There was an Ostrich farm, near a place I once worked.

There was one male & a bunch of females. When you drove up to the perimeter fence, the male seemed to confuse the Land Rover as another male Ostrich, and quickly ran up to each female and 'serviced' them in turn, glaring at the Landy as he did so. It became regular visiting spot for the chaps to have chuckle. We suspect the female Ostriches must of thought, 'not that ----ing Land Rover again!'

There was an Ostrich farm, near a place I once worked.

There was one male & a bunch of females. When you drove up to the perimeter fence, the male seemed to confuse the Land Rover as another male Ostrich, and quickly ran up to each female and 'serviced' them in turn, glaring at the Landy as he did so. It became regular visiting spot for the chaps to have chuckle. We suspect the female Ostriches must of thought, 'not that ****ing Land Rover again!'

I would have had some fun with that.. I'd spend an entire day just going to the farm every half an hour... see if the male ostrich can keep up...

I would have had some fun with that.. I'd spend an entire day just going to the farm every half an hour... see if the male ostrich can keep up...

That was actually documented by one crew; the farm was part of a secure area, so a regular visiting point. Apparently, he kept it up all day, much to the annoyance of the hens I suspect.

I also tried Escargot.. again, not impressed.

I was asked to go and help some Army Guys in Pakistan for a couple of days, a mixture of Brits, Yanks and a couple of Gurkas,theyneeed som rudimentary accomodation organised, generators and the like. Don't need to take any food Pete they will supply everything.
First Day, evening meal time, grubs up Pete, and it smelt great been working hard all day, so we all got stuck into this pot of whatever, now these Guys had obviously plenty of experience of living off the land, so to speak. That was great I said what was it Compo Rats, got a few odd looks, and 1 of the Gurkas pointed to a pile of animal remains, saw a snake or what was left of it a few bits of brown fur, didn't bother asking, just hoped it would stay down, didn't even know what Snake it was, I had just eaten, thought it was Chicken. Very nice though, could have done with a nice Chianti.

Last edited:
Tallow or no tallow for when the male ostrich gives you one?

I could answer but it would drag the post even lower... (I'm good at that) so I'll be a good boy and let you guess..:)

Having worked in many African countries there's not much I haven't eaten. I'm a big fan of 'street food', tasty, filling and cheap but it's usually best not to ask exactly what it is...

Having worked in many African countries there's not much I haven't eaten. I'm a big fan of 'street food', tasty, filling and cheap but it's usually best not to ask exactly what it is...
Know exactly what you mean Mate, walking down the Markets in faraway places, smelling all the wonderful cooking smells, don't ask just eat, yurstomach will let you know if it's OK to eat.:rolleyes:

I normally follow the locals, if they eat there in numbers then I'll eat there. I'm not one to let worries about what I might be eating to ruin the enjoyment of a tasty meal.

A while ago, early 90's, when I was on contract in Maputo I had a meal from a street vendor that was absolutely delicious. Over several months I kept going back there 2 or 3 times a week for the same dish, it was something I really looked forward to and it never failed to be sheer eating bliss. One time I made the mistake of asking what the meat was in the dish. I asked several people but the language problem made it difficult to understand the locals and I thought everyone seemed cagey about telling me and I couldn't get a straight answer. I stopped going there because I started getting all kinds of ideas of what disgusting things it might be.

Several years later I was back in the same place and by then I was a lot more fluent in Bantu languages and even spoke a bit of Portuguese which I picked up whilst I'd been working elsewhere in Mozambique. I went back to the same street stall and asked about the food and it turns out the reason I couldn't get an answer about the meat they used was because it was actually a vegetarian dish. I was pretty disappointed in myself but looking on the bright side my favourite street food was back on my regular menu again. That whole episode was mainly stopped me worrying and constantly asking what exactly the food was that was being served.

Reply to Whats the wierdest things/thing you have eaten, keep it clean please in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net