Discuss Whats this mean on a rcd test in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

Maxstone89

I think i know but want to make sure
Whats this mean on a rcd test {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

As per the other posts - is this a verification test on a new RCD or an older,existing one ?
If it's an older RCD it might pass comfortably if you test it a few times, nobody does the recommended quarterly functional test with the button and sometimes they can stick -in my experience.

could be that. could also be that OP had the meter set to a dead test function.

The touch voltage on the installation would have exceeded 50 V for the reasons in the posts above so the test was aborted.

all i can read on the screen is the 50V and as load of crinkly plastic obscuring anything else.

It was not a new install it, and i came to the conclusion that when i unplugged everything using power eg modem tv ect the test worked.

It was not a new install it, and i came to the conclusion that when i unplugged everything using power eg modem tv ect the test worked.

Then you are not carrying out the test correctly!
RCD tests should be carried out at the outgoing terminals of the RCD with the outgoing conductors disconnected.

Perhaps you should revise your test procedures a bit before carrying out any more testing.

What, it is aloud to be done at a socket actually

Maybe you should

Think, if you put in a new socket as a spur.you wouldn't fart about disconnecting all that for an rcd test, its pointless the rcd being there if it doesn't pass the tests at the sockets you want it to protect

Last edited by a moderator:
To the best of my knowledge an RCD test should be carried out with the outgoing conductors disconnected.

When I made this very point on the boards.ie Electrical forum the moderator deleted my "incorrect posts" after I refused to. RCD testing seems to be widely misunderstood.

An alarming number of people seem to think there is merit testing an RCD at the extremities of the circuit, completely ignoring the fact that it is the RCD under test and not the circuit.

What evidence can you find to say it has to be done your way?
http://electrical.------.org/wiring-matters/15/insp-test-rcd.cfm?type=pdf

Last page section .5

Tests are made on the load side of the RCD between the phase conductor of the protected circuit and the associated cpc. Any load or appliances should be disconnected prior to testing. RCD test instruments require a few milliamperes to operate; this is normally obtained from the phase and neutral of the circuit under test. When testing a three-phase RCD protecting a three-wire circuit, the instrument’s neutral is required to be connected to earth. This means that the test current will be increased by the instrument supply current and will cause some devices to operate during the 50% test, possibly indicating an incorrect operating time. Under this circumstance it is necessary to check the operating parameters of the RCD with the
manufacturer before failing the RCD.

Guidance note 3 also states the same in similar words as the PDF and guidance note 3 are written by the IET.

Last edited:

Reply to Whats this mean on a rcd test in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock