Discuss whats with all this volt drop crap? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

A

ayjay

posters on here often worry about volt drop, whats the prob with a few less volts @ the other end of the cable? will a few volts less end in disaster? will the suppy cable catch fire?
be nice i,m mellowed out at the moment:mickey:

Stuff dont work if volts are too low.

Despite everything we get told about supply voltage it is not 400/230V.

Most UK LV distribution transformers are:
11/.433/.250KV.
Tapings (if fitted) -5% / -2.5% / 0% / +2.5% / + 5% (set at 0%).
Reactance 0.45% up to 1000KVA, 0.5% above.

Voltage regulation is normally at the 33/11KV transformers with OLTC’s.

I tried lowering the LV voltage to 400V on 4 X 20MVA transformers as an experiment. Got nothing but complaints!

No pleasing some people!

There's an article on the TLC website showing how equipment designed for 230v which is actually running at 240v (still the norm) uses 6% more energy and has a much shorter lifespan than if it were to run at 230v.
So, if the Government is so keen to have us all reduce our energy consumption, why not force generators to adopt the 230v standard? 6% reduction instantly :)

My top floor lights flicker whenever I start the vacuum cleaner up, should I be worried?

you should be worried. vacuuming is a woman's job. can just see you as freddie mercury in the video . " i want to break free" PMSL.

Reply to whats with all this volt drop crap? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock