Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss Whats your thoughts on this in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Tags:
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. AJshep

AJshep Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Andrew Shepherd Electrics
    Whats everyones thoughts on this picture ? It was taken in a new build property.
    The contractors are still building over the road and the electricians are still working on the building site.
    Obviously everyone can see no identification on the switch wires but most of the switches do. What bugs me is the connector block on the CPC, why the hell haven't they taken it to the metal backbox. They have done this on every switch.
    I was going to pull them up but every switch has got the little plastic caps over the 3.5mm screws so technically there is no exposed metal.

The only reason I can think they do this is to save time when second fixing, as I guess feeding the switch means multiple CPCs to connect.

Anyone else this this is awful or is it just me.

20180816_131845.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  2. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Forum Mentor

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    it'sa disgrace and should be brought to the attention of someone who cares about safe installation, with the clout to get it rectified.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. SWD

SWD Gender neutral Electrician's Arms

It may be within regs but its a bodge, think on the saving on connector blocks, also the wall should have been painted before the face plates had been attached, paint on the face plate nasty paint lines going around the aperture.

How much are these house being sold for as the snagging list will be fun to read.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Andy78

Andy78 Forum Mentor

I have no idea why this would be done apart from incompetence. It would be no easier nor save any time.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  5. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Forum Mentor

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    could just be a competition, to see if the sparks could out-bodge the plumbers.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

Over sleeving the cables isn't important, and the use of choc block to terminate the CPC is just down right lazy/ a mark of incompetence

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. SWD

With something like that what other corners have been cut, I feel sorry for the families mortgaging themselves up to the hilt for sh!te like this.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  8. SWD

Maybe they know the plumber will "nip" the T+E so saving the earth as a feed.

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. buzzlightyear

buzzlightyear still kicking sand, before pushing up daisies . Electrician's Arms

go on you know that you want to get your screwdriver to it. :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

Thing is .... I bet they get signed off without any comments or rework by some poor QS who won't look at this sort of thing.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. AJshep

Business Name:
    Glad everyone is in agreement.
    Like i say every switch is like this. Reckon Its done because they have trouble putting 3 or 4 Cpcs into the earth terminal of the KO box, a fly lead would obviously waste valuable time...
    Thing is all the time the plastic screw caps are on it compiles even though its dogs mess !

Edit....
    I forgot to add, every switch has decorators chaulk round it too.
    Walls are just taped, jointed, and painted.
    Cheap as chips.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
  12. westward10

westward10 In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream. Staff Member Moderator

How do the plastic caps make it comply, the back box requires earthing regardless.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 1
  13. SWD

So how much are they being sold for, you are in the SE so I bet not cheap.

14. SWD

You can get them in, usually 3 as norm 4 with a spur etc etc.

What gets me is that people don't have pride in their work but then again I do understand that if you are not fast enough you can get kicked off site and as the job is nearing completion more corners are cut.

15. AJshep

Business Name:
    Im hope your right.
    I was told this by an NIC inspector in February (i know, i know) it came up as it was around that time that i noticed click started providing the caps on their accessories.

He agreed that it was not good practice but said the plastic cap provides Insulation, I know the regs state that every point should a earth cable available...

Im happy to bring this up but dont want the bar strewards fobbing me off on a technicality.