Discuss When a stubborn immersion element wont budge! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

We remove elements from unvented commercial and industrial water heaters. We use the correct size socket (think it's 76mm from memory) and a cordless 3/4 inch drive impact tool.

We used to struggle with box spanners in the old days but thankfully no more.

I like Daves idea of using a hacksaw blade to remove the fibre washer, unfortunately it wouldn't work on the cylinders and heat exchangers we work on because the element is usually recessed at least 50 mm below the outer casing meaning lack of access and swinging room.

I usually found that the airing cupboard is built around the tank and the first shelf is usually about 6" from the top of the element so it won't pull out anyways.

shelf modifier:
shopping

You could try singing this little song.
Oh! Mr Plumber
What shall I do
I've tried to get the immersion out
But it really won't unscrew
I've tried a great big hammer
And a Stilson too
Water's running down the stairs
And the ceiling too
Oh! Mr Plumber
Its over now to you!.............sorry, nothing else to do.
That has made me smile. Sometimes tough in the morning. I can imagine it set to this tune :)

If cylinder is empty, try filling it again and have another go. Youl be surprised how much stronger it is and resistant to buckling. Bit like loosening wheel nuts before jacking car up..
Of course, don't unscrew it Completely until emptied..

Reply to When a stubborn immersion element wont budge! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi, Small flat, currently has a small'ish feed water tank, top of a cupboard, feed through a wall into under stairs cupboard. Hot water tank...
Replies
Views
Hoping someone maybe able to help. We have a Horstmann electronic 7 that's connected to the water heater element(everything been great for years)...
Replies
Views
Hoping someone maybe able to help. We have a Horstmann electronic 7 that's connected to the water heater element(everything been great for years)...
Replies
Views
Hi Absolutely 0 knowledge of this so excuse language / terms / explanation. Electric only ground floor 2 bed flat ( 3 external walls) On peak...
Replies
Views
Hi - our heating has packed up and we are trying to resurrect our immersion heater. We put a new heating element into it yesterday and all seemed...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock