Discuss When can an RCD be omitted from a domestic cable run in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

At any time.
There is currently no requirement to provide RCD protection for cables, other than those that make up a circuit for a location containing a bath or shower.

The standard regs regarding the external influence of impact apply.
These regs are not limited to domestic installations.

If not protected by earthed metal sheath trunking or conduit at less than 50mm RCD required then
Earthed metallic sheath, earthed trunking or conduit, mechanically protected, be part of a SELV or PELV circuit or run in a prescribed route and provided with RCD protection.

Similar rules apply if if the wall’s internal construction includes metallic parts.

Earthed metallic sheath, earthed trunking or conduit, mechanically protected, be part of a SELV or PELV circuit or run in a prescribed route and provided with RCD protection.

Similar rules apply if if the wall’s internal construction includes metallic parts.

For those of you who think there is a requirement for RCD protection, you should learn to read.
It’s an option.
If you choose that option, it’s your choice, no one is twisting your arm forcing you to make that choice.
Oh and once again, I’ll point out that RCD protection is not an option for cables concealed above ceilings and below floors.

Stair lift. Medical equipment.
Circuits of locations containing baths and showers, socket circuits in agricultural/horticultural installations.
Such circuits require RCD protection whether they use an earthed sheath, earthed trunking/conduit or have mechanical protection.
Though I’m not aware of a requirement to provide RCD protection for stair lifts (don’t get me started, they drive me up the wall).

critical equipment can be supplied non-RCD to avoid danger if tripped. bit like our freezers. no RCD = no defrosted steaks and chickens.

Never understood this option to omit it for a freezer circuit, if the rcd trips there is likely to be a fault with your appliance. Deal with it by getting a new freezer and while waiting for delivery, find a mop.
that may be true of the freezer is on it's own RCD/RCBO, but not if it's plugged into a circuit with other appliances/sockets/boiler etc.,etc.

Reply to When can an RCD be omitted from a domestic cable run in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net