Discuss When did neutral at the light switch become standard practice? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

In any domestic job, wether old or new I always bounce the feed round the switches.
Why would you want to fit any dangly light when it’s 3 plate?

There is no way to determine this except take every switch off and check ................

There is another way. Drop the ceiling rose cover and count the twin-and-earth’s
Scrub that idea. I forgot about the old J701 joint box under the floor trick.
Take off the switches. Not a difficult job but please follow all relevant safety guidelines

Not all smart switches use a neutral. Lightwaverf being one example. So it might not matter

Am about 10 post later .i hate 3mm earth sleeving g on everything from single 1mm to squeezing it in section over a 3core swA . Does my head in buy a few different sizes and fit the correct one not just what you have left in the bag which is always 3mm

Ah, thank you all for your replies. It seems I will have to wait and see and then decide what is the best plan of action!

i can understand cpc ends being twisted to ensure all are well connected in the terminal (separate sleeving for each) but to twist the lotand put into 1 sleeve is ,IMO, criminal , same with twisting L and N solid core into a terminal. hate it.

Every so often, I find the round JBs with the CPCs round the outside of the box, twisted together.

Every so often, I find the round JBs with the CPCs round the outside of the box, twisted together.
was common practice in the '60s when there were never enough terminals in the JB.

Not just round JB's... The square ones for lighting too.
Joints made, lid on, then all the cpc's wrapped over the top and twisted together in one of those old twisty type porcelain connectors.
You would have to dismantle the cpc joint to get the lid off to access any other joints.

At least they were sleeved. Maybe in pairs or 3 at a time.... but sleeved.

In the 70s also, even when there were enough terminals.
Probably because it had become common practice in the 60s.
It could well have been shown to the next generation of apprentices as "the way we do it", then continued as "the way I was taught".

At least they were sleeved. Maybe in pairs or 3 at a time.... but sleeved.
Bit pointless actually sleeving them if they're not actually in the enclosure with the circuit conductors...

Possibly, Marvo… but it does distinguish cpc's from just a bit of wire holding the lid on

Neutral to switch definitely makes changing light fittings/locations etc much simpler.

Just so long as a suitable box is put in for the switch... You know, enough room to actually put the switch on without damaging the wires behind it.

Last new build I saw had a 4-gang light switch in the kitchen with a 25mm box, I'd been asked to change it to dimmers... What sort of turd-burgling numpty puts in a 25mm box for a 4-gang switch?!

Last new build I saw had a 4-gang light switch in the kitchen with a 25mm box, I'd been asked to change it to dimmers... What sort of turd-burgling numpty puts in a 25mm box for a 4-gang switch?!

A cheap skate .... unfortunately there are far too many of them about today .....

Neutral to switch definitely makes changing light fittings/locations etc much simpler.

Just so long as a suitable box is put in for the switch... You know, enough room to actually put the switch on without damaging the wires behind it.

One who’d asked the client if they thought they’d ever want dinmers instead of switches (more than once, mind you) and had been told, quite emphatically, that “of course” they wouldn’t?

Reply to When did neutral at the light switch become standard practice? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net