Discuss When did neutral at the light switch become standard practice? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

I am trying to find out when it became standard practice to run neutral to light switches.

Electricians started running active, neutral and earth to the switches when Plate switches became popular. Before that we used architrave switches and you cant fit all those wires behind the architrave. It is easier to only run a single cable to the light fitting when you are usually working off a ladder when connecting it.
It is all a matter of preference and what suits the job.

Reply to When did neutral at the light switch become standard practice? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

I hope someone can help with this as I'm stumped. My landing hallway ceiling (2016-build house) has two rose pendants which I've attempted to...
Replies
Views
Hi folks, I’m new to the forum and it’s this issue that lead me here. So first things first. I was looking to wire in a Smart Relay at the rose...
Replies
Views
Hi all, after a bit of advise if ok please. We have a switch which currently only powers one single LED down light in our ceiling. From this...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm replacing standard light switches in my hall and landing with touch switches (not smart, just touch on/off) like these from Amazon...
Replies
Views
Howdy DIY soldiers, first post here. My question comes down to whether it would be particularly unsafe for me to temporarily wire nut and tape a...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock