Discuss When does a domestic property need a rewire ??? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
see a lot of different threads on here , where people asking for advice on old installations , one tonight even about moving sockets installed in the70’s in metal conduit and 2 core cable
It’s a funny game where not every one thinks the same , know wiring lasts a long time but the accessories get worn , make bad connections to plugs , lamps , switches etc
Personally I’m quite quick to advice a rewire , not for my personal gain tbh
Just wanted to know at what point other people advice a rewire

see a lot of different threads on here , where people asking for advice on old installations , one tonight even about moving sockets installed in the70’s in metal conduit and 2 core cable
It’s a funny game where not every one thinks the same , know wiring lasts a long time but the accessories get worn , make bad connections to plugs , lamps , switches etc
When remedial work will cost near on the same amount, when remedial work will cause as much disruption as a rewire, when they are fully refurbing a property , changing layouts and adding multiple extensions, when wired in TRS etc

I think some people are too quick to jump on the rewire/replace the dist board bandwagon because they are not confident in giving an assessment as to whether it is safe for continued use and feel the best option is to start again. I have carried out countless Periodics some with multiple issues most of which can be rectified. Obviously wiring systems past their reasonable service life are not rectifiable without replacement.

Sometimes a test doesn’t. Always give you a true picture of what’s hidden on the installation
I’ve uncovered some horrendous stuff on rewire’s that could of easily caused a fire but missed a test

Not looking for advice here just thought I’d start an interesting chat

I certainly don’t agree with the change the DB method , think a lot of general public think this is an instant fix / upgrade

It can be an upgrade, I'd rather see an installation well past the first flush of youth protected by decent modern circuit and additional protection than rewirables. Not suggesting for a moment rewirables are unsafe, just modern circuit protection is an upgrade.
edit...ipf types quicker!

I'd suggest rewire same as tyres wear out on a car, not in the same time scale, but nothing lasts forever. Went to a property the other day, to quote for kitchen refurb'. No cpc in lighting circuits amongst other things. They had a 'visual' check done on the electrics before moving in 6mths ago, customer still not convinced about spending money on upgrading electrics, but want to spend money on new kitchen. :mad:

I'd suggest rewire same as tyres wear out on a car, not in the same time scale, but nothing lasts forever. Went to a property the other day, to quote for kitchen refurb'. No cpc in lighting circuits amongst other things. They had a 'visual' check done on the electrics before moving in 6mths ago, customer still not convinced about spending money on upgrading electrics, but want to spend money on new kitchen. :mad:
Thats a very common thing, they can't see the wiring so its out of sight out of mind where as they can see the kitchen and feel they are getting something for the money...

Personally think now Rewire , new heating system certainly helps sell a house and also keep price up near asking price as these two thing hold a lot of bargaining power
So not just for safety reasons fire/shock you would have a rewire but it can also be considered a bit of an investment in the property

I usually find that if the old installation has not been "tampered" with, then it's generally fine, providing it was installed correctly in the first place, but once Mr DIY has had a go at it, spurring off here there and everywhere, borrowing neutrals.....then its time to start again.

What test results will justify a rewire.
That's a good point. Most poor results whether they are IR results, continuity etc result in fault finding as they are generally only on one or 2 circuits. I guess if there were poor results on all circuits then you could justify a rewire. I rarely advise a rewire or indeed a CU change, unless the conditions are as in Lee's post above.

I am absolutely for if it aint broke don't fix it. I take something of a pride in fixing older systems so that they pass tests and meet regs. However as @Leesparkykent says when the cost of fixing is near to the cost of re-wire I quote for both and usually the customer will see the sense in having a re-wire.

Usually if its old rubber cable which has deteriorated or lots of the dreaded green goo in PVC cable.Or sometimes just a partial rewire if its a mixture of cables. If there is mice damage which I find a lot I would go for a consumer unit replacement after repair if its got no RCDs so it has some protection. Got one to look at on Frid, the customer shoved a Brillo pad down a mouse hole and it went bang and ignited ( the pad not the mouse.)

Usually if its old rubber cable which has deteriorated or lots of the dreaded green goo in PVC cable.Or sometimes just a partial rewire if its a mixture of cables. If there is mice damage which I find a lot I would go for a consumer unit replacement after repair if its got no RCDs so it has some protection. Got one to look at on Frid, the customer shoved a Brillo pad down a mouse hole and it went bang and ignited ( the pad not the mouse.)
Hang on......don't give 'em more reason for upping the 18th......isolate before inspection of mouse holes....

Personally I am not a fan of the" cause it's old, it's dangerous club ".
This smacks of taking advantage of customers insecurities.
I have seen plenty of old instalations that were installed to a very good stantard.
Therefore they are still working well today. It comes down to the results of talking with the customer ( what are their concerns ), the results of a visual inspection, What current safety standards reccomend, and the results of some good old fashioned testing.

Reply to When does a domestic property need a rewire ??? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock