Discuss When does a domestic property need a rewire ??? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Personally looks like a rewire to me , safety , investment , that’s my personal opinion
But hey it could also have a few improvements and be fine for years to come , that’s why I started this thread
Perfect example for the thread

Here's the report, which doesn't look that bad...
There's some stuff that obviously needs doing, but I'm not so sure on a rewire now
P1
When does a domestic property need a rewire ??? {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

P2
When does a domestic property need a rewire ??? {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

P3

P4

P5

P6

You should seek a 2nd opinion regarding those codes ...

How big is the home and how long was the "inspector" in it?

He's in my neck of the woods. I would not be surprised at a lack of earthing conductor. Most service heads never had the facility and there are plenty still without.

Still, the wrong codings ring alarm bells as to the legitimacy of the report.

Andy78, I see you are in Hull!
He's in my neck of the woods. I would not be surprised at a lack of earthing conductor. Most service heads never had the facility and there are plenty still without.

Still, the wrong codings ring alarm bells as to the legitimacy of the report.
I am in your neck of the woods. Are you busy tomorrow morning or next Wednesday morning for a second opinion?

...How big is the home and how long was the "inspector" in it?[/QUOTE]
It's a small two bed, with extended kitchen.
He was about 10-15 minutes under the stairs. I don't know if this is usual

Why no r1 r2 when he’s stated earth sizes of cables also why no ins res between L and N , looks more of a visual test he’s carried out here

My feelings are, if it's dangerous, then rewire. But as the point of this thread is about why rewire when the installation is in good condition, and the points raised in the EICR are an easy fix, is there really a need. As stated above, this is a good case study.
Anyway, I've asked for a second opinion from Andy78 and we'll go from there

Is this your house John
Is the house going to have refurb , kitchen , boiler , outside lights , electric smokes , extra sockets ( 8 doesn’t seem a lot this day and age ) , shower
Our demand for electric appliances has massively changed in the last 30 years and is changing at a fast rate
Just a bit of food for thought

It is my house, I moved in a few weeks ago. Although to look at it you wouldn't guess!
I am having CH fitted within the week and then the usual decorating and updating of the kitchen. Having the CH fitted would be an ideal opportunity to put in additional sockets and you mentioning outside lighting has got me thinking

So already your into new DB (mains ) upgrade bonding , new kitchen (separate ring ) extra sockets in every room , new boiler supply and stat , outside lights , smokes ( pending on how much you value yours and family’s life )
While your ripping house apart and full redecoration and plastering i’d Bite the bullet and do full rewire

So already your into new DB (mains ) upgrade bonding , new kitchen (separate ring ) extra sockets in every room , new boiler supply and stat , outside lights , smokes ( pending on how much you value yours and family’s life )
While your ripping house apart and full redecoration and plastering i’d Bite the bullet and do full rewire
I have one wired and two battery smokes
It's interesting how this thread is unfolding

Yeh interesting one this and no one can force you either way , so final decision will be yours
Unlike a car MOT electricians can only really advice you on what they personally think best obviously highlighting potential dangers ( if you have chosen a good electrician )

Reply to When does a domestic property need a rewire ??? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock