Discuss When does taking a fuse out protect you..? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Clearly you didn't remove the correct fuse, you removed what you thought was the correct fuse. - And it may well have been at one time, but you have no way of knowing what bodgery has taken place since it was installed. What circuit might have been crossed with what other etc.

Nobody with even the vaguest idea of what they're doing would work on a circuit without PROVING it's dead; testing it with a meter or probe of some kind. If you don't have the (cheap and simple) tools to do that and the knowledge to use them, then you should not be anywhere near your house wiring.

You CANNOT just assume throwing any switch or breaker or removing any fuse isolates anything... For all you know the handle might move and the thing goes clunk but the contacts are stuck inside. - You need to PROVE the system is dead; end of.

Next time you consider doing something this stupid consider that you may not only kill yourself, but even if you 'complete' your repair (with all your lack of knowledge) you might well place a fault on the system that causes a fire or shock risk in your own home or even somewhere else. - In other words, your stupidity could cost an innocent person their life.
i think he is part of the jobbing crew that twist the ends of cables together then wrap with insulating tape.

guess he doesnt plan on running a successful business one day, reputation is everything in this game of trades, i would refuse to work for an employer who insisted on cutting corners to save a few quid, how much is a multimeter these days ? ÂŁ5-ÂŁ10?, for the sake of it possibly saving his life he decides he would rather have a few quid.

i think he is part of the jobbing crew that twist the ends of cables together then wrap with insulating tape.

guess he doesnt plan on running a successful business one day, reputation is everything in this game of trades, i would refuse to work for an employer who insisted on cutting corners to save a few quid, how much is a multimeter these days ? ÂŁ5-ÂŁ10?, for the sake of it possibly saving his life he decides he would rather have a few quid.

I got the impression he was mucking about in his own house. If he's masquerading as any kind of tradesman he wants lynching!

I got the impression he was mucking about in his own house. If he's masquerading as any kind of tradesman he wants lynching!
What's the bet he is with NICEIC or one of the other scams

Indeed it was. Well, electricians driver with insulated shaft, red, one for the use of.

So I was protected from shock. Other hand was behind my back.
rubber boots on..
Kin ell

tryin et me 'ed rund tid thred. pull fusenotdee,sothen find out why. ?

diy-health_and_safety-clock-grandfather-yellow-hats-shl080926_low.jpg

Day one at electricians school...
Written on the blackboard was
"Thou shalt not work live".
If you cannot verify a dead circuit then don't work on it....ever!

Right, WTF is electricians School?

total bollox. there'elive working and there's live testing. different as chalk and (bugger. forgot the simile) ham?

total bollox. there'elive working and there's live testing. different as chalk and (bugger. forgot the simile) ham?
true, but for domestic theres little need to actually keep circuits live whilst work is undertaken, those guys that work on the overhead lines have massive conkers.

true, but for domestic theres little need to actually keep circuits live whilst work is undertaken, those guys that work on the overhead lines have massive conkers.
No they have massive training PPE and experience

there's old sparks and there's bold sparks, but there's never any bold and old sparks. ( and this post is made under duress as i'm trying to get to grips with some pink floyd lyrics, coming back to life).

there's old sparks and there's bold sparks, but there's never any bold and old sparks. ( and this post is made under duress as i'm trying to get to grips with some pink floyd lyrics, coming back to life).
Chill mate don't let them get to you

n
Chill mate don't let them get to you
nixus problemus, bin talking to son and heir. told him quite straight, one day i going pop my clogs, he MUST play pink floyd at my funeral, else i going haunt him.

You have endangered yourself twice now and by reading the previous posts by either reversed polarity and/or mixed up legs to ring final circuits. I would recommend you get an electrician in to at least do identification of circuits and the operation of isolators ,MCB's and RCBO/RCD's.

Unlikely, given that his profile says that he has no electrical qualifications and is therefore, presumably, a DIYer.
Your point being? presumably being the optimum word

Reply to When does taking a fuse out protect you..? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net