Discuss when is a bathroom mirror not a mirror - or use of light in a hinged cupboard door in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

djtip

-
Reaction score
Hi All,

As a new member and newly qualified I guess you always get the things you haven't seen before in your early jobs.

So just picked up a small job of a new socket - spurred off existing RCB protected ring - so no prob there.

But also can I wire up this bathroom mirror with 2*internal 18W fluorescent lamps being used as a decorative cover over the hole in the wall where the CU is installed. The DNO fuse and meter and on the outside of the property.

At present the mirror is just hooked over a bar and lifts off to get to the CU and RCB, so not permanently fixed.

My solution is to hinge the mirror onto the wall on the left and fit a catch on the right thus making it into a door, so it is now fixed yet capable of being opened to reset the RCB should it trip.

I plan to put a switched FCU adjacent to the hinges but fixed to the building fabric. I will then use flexible cable (to BS6500 or &919) from the FCU into the mirror and restrain it appropriately near the hinge on the back of the mirror so that the cable forms a nice loop.
Given that the 'door/mirror' will only be opened occasionally and that the cable is not accessible when the door/mirror is in its normal closed position I do not plan to put any additional flexible conduit round the cable. The manufacturer's internal wiring, grommets and access points will all be used.

I think this comlies with chapter 52 of the regs, specifically 521.9.

Can anyone see any issues with this?

Dave
o

Re: when is a bathroom mirror not a mirror - or use of light in a hinged cupboard doo

The RCB is generally referred to as an RCD (residual current device) or occasionally RCCB (residual current circuit breaker).

You may be able to avoid complications if you install a 5A socket on the wall nearby and put a 5A plug on the mirror thingy thus making it a portable appliance instead of a fixed appliance.

Re: when is a bathroom mirror not a mirror - or use of light in a hinged cupboard doo

So, the CU is installed in a hole in the wall? Is this in a bathroom then, or is the bathroom mirror just a mirror to cover the hole? If so, why does it need power?
I am somewhat confused by this thread...

The RCB is generally referred to as an RCD (residual current device) or occasionally RCCB (residual current circuit breaker).

You may be able to avoid complications if you install a 5A socket on the wall nearby and put a 5A plug on the mirror thingy thus making it a portable appliance instead of a fixed appliance.
Good thought, not part of the fixed wiring then.

You could use the very flexible silicone cable to give more leeway for flexing, but it may well be overkill. Other than that it is slightly unconventional but should be OK.
Make sure that the cable will not catch on anything as the door is closing.

It has 2 lights as per post

I would take Marvo s suggestion, especially considering that the flex will be swinging back and forth and moving the fixed wiring for access would not be the usual practice for an installation

So, the CU is installed in a hole in the wall? Is this in a bathroom then, or is the bathroom mirror just a mirror to cover the hole? If so, why does it need power?
I am somewhat confused by this thread...
I read it as being a bathroom type mirror but not being installed in a bathroom. Obviously if it is in a bathroom things may get considerably more complicated.

I read it as being a bathroom type mirror but not being installed in a bathroom. Obviously if it is in a bathroom things may get considerably more complicated.

Yes, this is not a bathroom, but the client would like the light to work (for putting on makeup, possibly).

I like Marvo's suggestion as it means I don't have to fit hinges, so will probably go with that.

Thanks for all your feedback everyone.

Dave

Reply to when is a bathroom mirror not a mirror - or use of light in a hinged cupboard door in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net