Discuss When testing a circuit protected by RCBO, do you test at the DB or furtherst point in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

The way I interpreted that is that you test on the load side and that can be anywhere in the circuit covered by the rcd, be it at the CU or at the closest socket outlet or the furthest light.
Your just testing the device only and not the circuit is what the article is saying.
I always test at the CU and until the regulations say different then I always will:)

Its the words 'between the line conductor of the protected circuit and the associated cpc' that confuses me. Personally, I would test the easiest quickest way, either at the CU or from somewhere on the circuit, which for me is usually the latter.

don't blame me. i didn't put them there. and it wasn't my fault the Titanic sank.

Can I just interject into this discussion.

My rcd tester comes with 2 leads. One with 3 prongs and croc clips, the other with a regular square pin plug(top)

If we were only to test the device, there would be no need to supply the lead with the plug on.

I see it as one of the reasons we have rcd’s is to protect users when you plug in a faulty appliance, so the outlet itself should be tested.

Surely its whichever is more convenient at the time of testing surely?? Why are people so aggressive about this? If you're already in the board just check it at the device...if not just plug it in. Stop being girls about this....
It’s all about why you are testing the RCD/RCBO.
If you are testing it just to see whether it works, then yes test at the most convenient point.
If you are testing to prove it provides additional protection, then test it at the point where the additional protection is required.

Not aware anyone is getting aggressive about it.

If you are testing it just to see whether it works, then yes test at the most convenient point.
If you are testing to prove it provides additional protection, then test it at the point where the additional protection is required.

I personally dont see any need to test at the point. If it works at the board...its going to work in general.

don't blame me. i didn't put them there. and it wasn't my fault the Titanic sank.
but i think Pirate had something to do with it. all that gold jewellery on the women passengers. yo ho ho.

I think H&S and supporting statutes have something to say on this. Strictly speaking getting up a ladder to test lights is a no no in some commercial places I have been in. And opening a CU is working on something live which we should not be doing if there is a safer way to work i.e. at a socket or light switch. Therefore not at the CU with cover off then?

suppose you test the RCD at CU with circuits dissed. it passes with good readings. installation is then re-energised, cert. supplied, next job. however 1 circuit has a nasty N-E fault which inhibits the RCD from working. customer is electrocuted. if test was carried out at a socket, the problem would have been seen and rectified. so I'm with spin on this issue.

suppose you test the RCD at CU with circuits dissed. it passes with good readings. installation is then re-energised, cert. supplied, next job. however 1 circuit has a nasty N-E fault which inhibits the RCD from working. customer is electrocuted. if test was carried out at a socket, the problem would have been seen and rectified. so I'm with spin on this issue.
I'm with Spin and Tel

Incorrect premise.

Your insulation tests would have discovered this.

Your insulation tests would have discovered this.
you'd think so, but IR testing with modern digital testers can be hit and miss. had several cases of trapped L conductors showing >299Meg. on test but tripping MCB when energised. also had a couple of N-E fault stopping RCDs working . tested fine, >200Meg. .as a last resort on one of the latter, i used old wind up megger. that showed 15K ohms. think it's the fact that the old wind up jobbies can push out higher current. . moral here is don't mock the oldies. (you listening pete? old school beats the new tech.... hands down).

I think H&S and supporting statutes have something to say on this. Strictly speaking getting up a ladder to test lights is a no no in some commercial places I have been in. And opening a CU is working on something live which we should not be doing if there is a safer way to work i.e. at a socket or light switch. Therefore not at the CU with cover off then?
I'm with Vortigern on this.
I think this should be the definitive answer.

Reply to When testing a circuit protected by RCBO, do you test at the DB or furtherst point in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock