Discuss Where to get special tool to undo light fitting screw? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

EalingBadger

-
Arms
Reaction score
The pictures are of a type of anti-tamper cover retaining screw (M5 x 60mm) that is fitted as standard to a whole slew of lamp fitting in a local church complex.

IMG_1650.JPG IMG_1651.JPG

None of the bulbs have ever been changed since the place underwent a major refurb 20 years ago and all the new stuff was installed.

Of course, nobody bothered to leave them a key at the time, so none of the several dozen bulbs have ever been changed and they are now all long since blown.

Before I supply them with a bag of new (standard Pozidriv) screws and explain to their caretaker how to use a pair of long-nosed pliers to undo the existing screws and swap them over can anybody help with a source for the special tool required please, as this would obviously be the better solution even though none of the fittings are located such that they need the anti-tamper functionality because they are all effectively inside the building anyway?

One other detail - the heads on the existing screws are slightly larger than a standard M5 at 12mm diameter.

Find an old screwdriver the right width and use a grinder to cut a section out the middle. Once all the screw have been replaced with standard pozi, chuck your new 'tool' away
badd bad bad. replace screws with the same ones. he's got the tool, they haven't. repeat callouts .. kerching.

I have used spanner head hex bits for them in the past. admittedly it only works on 2 grooves not the four, but is no different to using a flat head screwdriver on a pozi screw. you need something like these
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Yato-professional-security-screwdriver-spanner/dp/B00EJD1CCY

If not toolstation do a set for around a fiver with some in that maybe fit the screws.
that's the type oftool he needs, but from hispost, the heads are a lot wider. that' makes littlespark's post the winner. a 1/2" blade of an old driver with a slot ground out.

I have used spanner head hex bits for them in the past. admittedly it only works on 2 grooves not the four, but is no different to using a flat head screwdriver on a pozi screw. you need something like these
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Yato-professional-security-screwdriver-spanner/dp/B00EJD1CCY

If not toolstation do a set for around a fiver with some in that maybe fit the screws.

Yep, that's another option that I've considered, but surely there must have been a specific tool available originally?

The screw head is quite wide for the type of driver you mention. In fact, considering that they are 1/4" hex drive and the actual shaft of the tool is somewhat smaller than that they are guaranteed not to be suitable for the particular screw concerned.

This is a charitable exercise on my part. I'm not getting paid for this so I am just trying to go for the easiest option that doesn't involve me spending time (measuring and grinding / or otherwise testing existing tooling for size and fit) and that, ideally, means just having them purchase something that is guaranteed the right size and ready to go.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. keep 'em coming. Hopefully somebody out there will yet come up trumps with a source for the original tool.

There was it came came with light fittings which had them. I have one in my van but not digging it out tonight.

I agree - fashion a temporary tool from a bit of steel or old screwdriver then replace them. By the sound of it there's nothing to be gained by keeping the security screws.
Thorn used to put a funny little triangular-headed screw on some of their light fittings, which became a relatively common tool, but I've never seen this kind.

You could try contacting the manufacturer.

Heat up the end of a tooth brush and push it over the screw let it cool down and you have made a tool to fit, you can get security screw bit sets with a large variety of bits in them , not sure if any of them would fit .

There was it came came with light fittings which had them. I have one in my van but not digging it out tonight.
That's what I figured, but I can't identify the fittings so the option of following things up with the manufacturer is currently not available.

No doubt the original sparks that did the installation just disposed of them. They certainly didn't hand any over to the vicar anyway.

given the size then, why not just use a bolt extraction tool and then replace with proper bolts with a normal head on them? Saves all this aggro when they are removed next time
If I can't source a tool what I will probably do is to deliver a packet of pozidriv screws to replace the existing ones. That way at least the current ones will only have to be removed one final time. (And yes, I do of course realise that the caretaker is at risk of losing any special tool, but it just seems more elegant to provide the proper device somehow.)

and this has done me proud on occasion, sometimes in conjunction with a fatmax chisel or screwdriver.:

https://media.NoLinkingToThis/is/image//ae235?src=ae235/33400_P&$prodImageMedium$
Yes, but since the caretaker is not a qualified electrician he is not qualified to use one of these on an electrical installation (only on plumbing). :)

Last edited:
Heat up the end of a tooth brush and push it over the screw let it cool down and you have made a tool to fit, you can get security screw bit sets with a large variety of bits in them , not sure if any of them would fit .
Crumbs Flanders, sounds like the kind of trick you picked up in the clink! Is there a story behind this?

Reply to Where to get special tool to undo light fitting screw? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net