Discuss Where's the scraps line?! in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

happysteve

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
Grew up in West Yorshire (between Bradford and Keighley). Free scraps from t'chippy (an' t'chips were cheap an' all).

Moved to Notts a while ago now, soon clocked they didn't do scraps round here. :( Had fish and chips this evening (an' it were dear, an' all), so it got me thinking... where is the scraps line? It must be somewhere between Bradford and Nottingham.

Uk_outline_map.png

Or perhaps there's a scraps contour? I'm aware they're called bits elsewhere.

I wondered if there was some sort of "elf and safety" reason for the lack of scraps, but the HSE themselves deny responsibility on this important issue: Case 71 - Fish & chip shop told customer he could not have 'batter scraps' for health and safety reasons - http://www.hse.gov.uk/myth/myth-busting/2012/case071-chipshop.htm

Can we crowd-source this? Where is the scraps line? :)

Always scraps over here in Hull when I was growing up. They don't ask often nowadays though, only in the good places.

I know it's bits around the Hudds area. There's a chippy called Wi'bits in Mirfield

Going North both Selby and York chippies know what scraps are. I think you only get scraps from odd shaped spuds done onsite, the bought in chips will have had the scraps used for a fisherman's pie topping (mash).

I got a free meal at the new ivy brasserie in bath last week courtesy of a friend who worked on the development and opening of the restaurant. it was free so cant complain too much but the thick cut chips were like boulders, if you threw one at the window it would have broken it. in all honesty i would have been happier with plain old fish and chips from the chippy. with the starters, main sides and desert it would have been around £45 but found it quite disappointing. It was rather pretentious and nothing special yet people are raving about it!!! for £45 i can go to the chippy and fill the fridge and freezer up and eat for a week!

I was in our local chippy (Oxon) run by a Greek Cypriot lady. She was talking to one of her regular customer that she was bringing back scraps for the customers son, 'cos he kept asking for them. But she said her new fryer didn't produce the quantities of scraps the old one did. She was going into detail, but her accent was quite strong, so couldn't understand everything she was saying.

The Scraps line will be very close to the Cob / Bap, Barm, Bun, Muffin line.
It's Cob below Mansfield

I grew up in Notts and they were (batter ) bits.
I'm still here but the Batter bits disappeared years ago.
It's probably because the Midlands exported all it's Victorian chip fryers to the North and as per Midwest, newer fryers don't produce as much waste.

Reply to Where's the scraps line?! in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock