Discuss Which cable rod set to buy in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Gringoking88

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi all,

Title says it all really, I'm looking to buy a set of cable rods and looking for recommendations from those more familiar with them. I was looking at something like the below but TBH not sure what the difference is:

Super Rod Cable Rod Deluxe Set - https://www.screwflix..com/p/super-rod-cable-rod-deluxe-set/33980

Or

Super Rod Cable Rod Set 6Pcs - https://www.screwflix..com/p/super-rod-cable-rod-set-6pcs/81513

Main reason I need them now is to go across a ceiling void but happy to spend a bit more for future investment.

Let me know what you guys recomenend and that would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Martin.

I have the bigger of the Super Rod sets. More rods of each type (different flexibility) and more accessories than the smaller set. It's very useful. I add extra rods and accessories from time to time.

Just noticed that there's a bigger set with more rods and includes some cable pulling socks, which I had to buy separately:

https://www.screwflix..com/p/super-rod-cable-rod-mega-set/44025

Oh no! Now you've got me looking, I've spotted that they do a carrying case to keep your accessories together with your rods. Looks like I'll have to get one.

Who says I'm a tool tart?

Super Rod Carry Case 1220mm - https://www.screwflix..com/p/super-rod-carry-case-1220mm/58774

I started off with the 'tool box set" and 9 times out of 10 it's all I need but now I've extended it with a few extra long rods and the set of socks!
It's all good and you will use it/need it one day and be glad you splashed out!

LOL, its addictive, whats the reach of these things would you estimate?
Across a surface, perhaps with small obstacles, the reach is many metres. You just push it away, adding rods as required, and flick it over obstacles. You can get a sort of 'glider' end which helps to get it over stuff and stops the end digging in. Over a void or major obstacles, you need to use the stiffest rods (black). You'll get several metres before they droop too much. Sometimes you need several stiff rods with a droopy one on the far end to drop through a hole and allow a cable to be attached.

If there are any electrical trade shows on by you soon, then go along as super rod are often present with very very good discounts. Just avoid ebay as far too many fakes on there, amazon less so but only buy from amazon not 3rd party sellers.

What can a £100 set of 10 * 1m rods do that a £10-£15m set can't?

What can a £100 set of 10 * 1m rods do that a £10-£15m set can't?
I guess that depends on what other useful bits and pieces the cheap set comes with. Also, I've had a Super Rod set for a few years now without a breakage. It's a fair bet that a cheap set won't be so robust.

I am just coming to the end of my second set of these (in around 8yrs I think): Cable Access Kit 10m - https://www.screwflix..com/p/cable-access-kit-10m/82483

Always found them ok to be honest. They last a good while. Only seem to break at mid point if pushed. For house bashing they defo do the job, and don't really see the need for different levels of flexibility for that purpose. In a different setting then flexibility may be an issue and really useful to have, but for domestics they are fine.
I recently got some of the shorter 300mm rods (not from the links) as I thought it would be useful to have a few in my bag to save traipsing to the van. They were carp and constantly broke off at the juncture between the brass ends.

I have found the most important accessory to have when fishing is the hook. Most other bits like the cable socks and eyelets can be fashioned easily enough.

ok I bought Super Rod Cable Rod Mega Set - https://www.screwflix..com/p/super-rod-cable-rod-mega-set/44025
and have used it several times and not been disappointed ...
until.....:anguished: one day going from one back box into another. I was feeding a cable into a small knockout gap. I had to use a long tie wrap as it was more flexible .
It was a gyproc wall and I was feeding into the rear of one box to another the super rod wasn't flexible enough to get through the gap and then along and back through the knockout.
so may I suggest that you also buy a long tie wrap to add as part of the kit:grinning::grinning:

all joking aside its saved me hours of frustration having this kit.

i got a set of super rods. also a cheap set (£7.99 from aldi). the super rods only come out where ther is no chance of snapping or losing. for most domestic work, the aldi rods are used.

I'm glad you said that Tel, I have an Aldi set and a Superod set. Was a bit embarrassed to mention the Aldi ones but for most jobs they're actually alright!

I'm glad you said that Tel, I have an Aldi set and a Superod set. Was a bit embarrassed to mention the Aldi ones but for most jobs they're actually alright!
course they are. onlytool tarets insist on the £60 super rods, then moan their bollox off when they get stuck in a void ( the rods, not their bollox)

We've got a cheap set and has served our needs well over the years. I did ask on the forum some time ago whether the super rod accessories fit on them must be a thread size.

Reply to Which cable rod set to buy in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock