Discuss Which Competent Persons Scheme? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

P

Pluto

Hi all, I am looking for advice on which Competent Persons Scheme to join? After been involved with Auto Electrics some years ago I have been in Manufacturing ever since. However, due to the current downturn and following my interest in Domestic Electrics I decided to re-train and subsequently spent 2008 working towards and qualifying with 2377, 17th Edition, 2391 and EAL part 'p'.
I don`t intend to leave my current job, at least for a while, if ever but I will definately join a Competent Persons Scheme (pending assessment!) and set up as a sole trader on a part-time basis for the time being. I have had occasional 'days of experience' with a relative but feel confident to go it alone before the knowledge of last year starts to fade away!!
Anyway, sorry for the ramble. Just explaining my circs..
I`ve heard some dodgy rumours about NIC but it seems to be the most recognised provider. Or do you think a different provider would suit my circumstances equally??
Thanks for your time in reading and in advance, thanks for any replies
Craig

The nic will accept your granny if she's read some sort of book on electrics nowadays ,so a formality getting di registered with them
They are by far the best known and requested by the ill informed insurances councils etc.so if its the name you need go with them
You have the 2391 so will be accepted by Napit
Much less known than nic or eca but seem to be the home of well qualified self employed sparks (they do not recognise a domestic installer status amongst sparks )they are apparantly better at assisting on tech info by replying to members queries etc better than nic
Eca are the oldest body and are well known and accept only well qualified stable companies They run 2 schemes via elecsa which they own and bre certification for registration with part p
In the end your own requirements may dictate the choice

Thanks for the reply. After considering what you say I`m tempted to go with NAPIT as they probably most suit my requirements . It sounds like NIC are a choice for people who NEED to go with them owing to dictation by certain customers/bodies, but perhaps i`m talking out of turn on that one. Either way, it has to work out more cost effective joining any scheme rather than going thru building control every time!
Thanks again, Craig

Reply to Which Competent Persons Scheme? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock