Discuss Which Cordless Drill? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Perennial question I know. Some little toerag knicked my Dewalt 18v combi drill and tool folder on Friday. Sorting out a replacement. What do you reckon is a good buy at the moment? A little reluctant to spend over £400.00 to replace the Dewalt.....

I have a Milwaukee fuel 18v and a metabo 18v
both decent. The Milwaukee seems to have a bit more grunt,but not much in it.
i previously had a Panasonic which had the best batteries of any drill I've had.it was slightly lacking in torque for blunt sparky wood bits though

Having researched most manufacturers' top of the range drills I have just invested in the Festool PDC 18/4. Although the Festool product does not have the biggest Ah battery or the highest torque, it is effectively 2 tools in one; being able to provide its full torque through a substantial 'right angle drill' attachment. No other manufacturer provides this level of performance in their right angled drills and most combi drill and right angled drill combinations would work out more expensive than the Festool price. In it's 1/4" drive form with no chuck it is shorter than all (?) other manufacturer's offerings. Finally, if you are unlucky enough to have it stollen there is Festool's 36 months 'theft protection'! FFX, Folkestone Fixings appear to be doing the best deal @ £ 442.00 VAT inc.

always had dewalt and liked them on its last legs now but been worked to death. use a milwalkie 18v at work (supplied at work) but find the chuck slips easily the milwalkie sds is the best i have used in 18v range.
but have had this recommended by a work mate Hitachi DV18DGL/JC 18V 1.5Ah Li-Ion Cordless Combi Drill | Cordless Combi Drills | screwflix..com. 2 batterys 40min charge amazing power/torque and at sub a £100 sounds great value any one else got one?

The company I ised to work for bought me a hitachi SDS and a hitachi cordless.
The SDS got replaced 3 times in one year under warranty and the cordless lasted about 18 months.
The old spit SDS and Panasonic cordless that my mentor had outlasted them by many many years.

always had dewalt and liked them on its last legs now but been worked to death. use a milwalkie 18v at work (supplied at work) but find the chuck slips easily the milwalkie sds is the best i have used in 18v range.
but have had this recommended by a work mate Hitachi DV18DGL/JC 18V 1.5Ah Li-Ion Cordless Combi Drill | Cordless Combi Drills | screwflix..com. 2 batterys 40min charge amazing power/torque and at sub a £100 sounds great value any one else got one?

Yeah i mentioned it in post 2 though the model you have has only got 1.5ah batteries it might be a bit light, you might be safer going the extra, but it all depends on your needs, as for the drill itself i have it 18 months it's still going strong

In the end I bought a Makita DHP481 which is their latest offering. 5Ah batteries, brushless motor with 110Nm of torque. Came with an impact driver as well. Package cost less than the equivalent Dewalt unit.

Was getting less than positive feedback from elsewhere on the Hitatchi units and couldn't justify the money for the Festool unless you are a full time chippy.

Purchased from my favourite big boys toy shop, Highland Industrial Supplies in Inverness. It's the kind of place you can get anything, even a gate for your field.

In the end I bought a Makita DHP481 which is their latest offering. 5Ah batteries, brushless motor with 110Nm of torque. Came with an impact driver as well. Package cost less than the equivalent Dewalt unit.

Was getting less than positive feedback from elsewhere on the Hitatchi units and couldn't justify the money for the Festool unless you are a full time chippy.

Purchased from my favourite big boys toy shop, Highland Industrial Supplies in Inverness. It's the kind of place you can get anything, even a gate for your field.
good choice that tool will accept 3ah and 4ah as well.

good job really as the 5ah batteries are nearly a ton a piece.

i got the 458 body only for £70 inc vat before the 481 was anounced in the uk, makita drills are not worth repairing when there out of warenty.

a decent new chuck for example is £20 so for an extra £50 you can get a nearly top of the range new one

Reply to Which Cordless Drill? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock