Discuss Which CU? Quick answer needed! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Lucien Nunes

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I don't often install single-phase CUs, but I need a couple of metalclad 10-way units for a light commercial situation, which will be populated with all RCBOs. They simply need to be reasonable quality, with not-too-expensive RCBOs, as roomy as possible.

If they can be got from Screwfix, so much the better. They stock Chint, BG, Crabtree, MK Sentry, Wylex and Schneider. MK and Wylex RCBOs are expensive, Crabtree and Schneider are a bit more than the others. I'm tempted to go with Crabtree, any suggestions?

E2A: ratings of circuits mainly 6A, 10A & 20A so I will probably do best to get unpopulated CUs (main switch only) and buy RCBOs.

Why Screwfix?

I fit Leudens/ Control Gear / Wilts / Denmans units (they are all the same!)

Wilts do a 14 way unit, populated with 10 RCBO's ....

Lost track of CUs and which ones are best, we always used Merlin Gerin, but sure as eggs is eggs someone will get the info you requir Lucian good luck with your project.

My preference would either by Schneider or Wylex. Problem with buying from big chains is you're quite restricted on what you get from them.

Looking at Screwfix I would probably opt for the Wylex board with their RCBOs as they don't seem to have a suitably sized Schneider..

Problem being the Wyelx RCBOs are about £10 more expensive than the Schneider ones.

Wylex 13-Module 11-Way Part-Populated Main Switch Consumer Unit | Domestic Consumer Units | screwflix..com - https://www.screwflix..com/p/wylex-13-module-11-way-part-populated-main-switch-consumer-unit/5339j

Wylex Rcbo - Search Results | screwflix..com - https://www.screwflix..com/search?search=wylex+rcbo

The own brand rcbos and CU in denmans are pretty good. have good amount of space in the top for rcbos and dressing cables nice and tidily.

Whatever you do, don't use MK stuff. MCB's etc suffer with slanting, and their RCBO's are a nightmare to connect up.

Wylex doing compact RCBO's now, with switched neutral.

Of those you list, with RCBOs, I'd go for Wylex. May not be the cheapest but decent enough until you go for split boards, when they can be awkward due to movement on the mcb fixing bars.

Could you post a picture of the wired CU for us to admire please? I'd wager it will be a masterclass in how to do it.

^^^ Very nice.

Wish I could end up with something looking like that. Didn't notice an MFT appearing in any of that vid? Guess he could of done before he started the vid or he'll do that later, disconnecting things. And when he finds a fault, he'll have to pull apart all his nice work apart :)

I'll post about the installation, but I doubt the new CU's will be particularly elegant because it's a rework of an existing installation, that will be modified from time to time as the building alterations progress.

The original installation is, or was, vastly overcomplicated but quite fun. One of my early mentors and I put it in about 30 years ago when I was in my teens, and it was a great practice piece made with second-hand switchgear and fixtures that we harvested from old buildings etc. We added an electric starter to the backup generator and I designed an automatic transfer system with prioritised load shedding and management etc. It was never fully completed because my girlfriend complained I was spending too much time on it, but had lots of knobs and buttons and did actually start up some time in the early 2000s.

The little outdoor switchroom housing all of this was in the way of a new building, and there's much less plant to supply and no longer any electrically controlled process work to warrant keeping the backup set, so we're streamlining. Here's how it looked until recently:
Which CU? Quick answer needed! Old SR - EletriciansForums.net

Wish I could show pics of previous installs in my time as a young thruster. Unfortunately it was all in the sprawling complex of Pressed Steel Fisher and Morris car plant. Its now a mixture of business, hotels & the BMW MINI factory!

One of my first jobs there, was replacing the high bay lighting in A building PSF. There was dust up there about 2" thick, probably dating back to WWII. Think that's what caused me Asthma. :)

BG. They are pretty good in the m/c range circular k/0 for conduit, looks like you might need them. Cheap and I have found them pretty good. I know they have been slated on here but I will stick to my guns on that. I have had problems with their RCD though.

Hi lucien,

I have recently changed from always fitting Wylex to trying BG, both of which Screwfix sell. I prefer the Wylex but the BG is so much cheaper and also I find it to be satisfactory quality. It sounds like cost is a factor in your quote so I would try BG (RCBO's are about £20 as opposed to £37 for wylex).

Hi lucien,

I have recently changed from always fitting Wylex to trying BG, both of which Screwfix sell. I prefer the Wylex but the BG is so much cheaper and also I find it to be satisfactory quality. It sounds like cost is a factor in your quote so I would try BG (RCBO's are about £20 as opposed to £37 for wylex).

British General 12-Module 10-Way Part-Populated Main Switch Consumer Unit | Domestic Consumer Units | screwflix..com - https://www.screwflix..com/p/british-general-12-module-10-way-part-populated-main-switch-consumer-unit/8804j

I'll post about the installation, but I doubt the new CU's will be particularly elegant because it's a rework of an existing installation, that will be modified from time to time as the building alterations progress.

The original installation is, or was, vastly overcomplicated but quite fun. One of my early mentors and I put it in about 30 years ago when I was in my teens, and it was a great practice piece made with second-hand switchgear and fixtures that we harvested from old buildings etc. We added an electric starter to the backup generator and I designed an automatic transfer system with prioritised load shedding and management etc. It was never fully completed because my girlfriend complained I was spending too much time on it, but had lots of knobs and buttons and did actually start up some time in the early 2000s.

The little outdoor switchroom housing all of this was in the way of a new building, and there's much less plant to supply and no longer any electrically controlled process work to warrant keeping the backup set, so we're streamlining. Here's how it looked until recently:
View attachment 40984
Whats the gen on the stripped SWA on the floor?

Reply to Which CU? Quick answer needed! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock