Discuss Which domestic Consumer Unit and why? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Midwest

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I have only installed the MK version of A3 CU's, mainly because of their pleasing looks :D

However, after trying to straighten the mcb's etc on the last 3 I've installed and failed, I'm kinda getting less enthusiastic about them. The final nail in the coffin, was trying to connect up some RCBO's, where the CU was located close to the ceiling, where because of the design of their RCBO connections, it was impossible to see if the neutrals were properly terminated, ended up taking RCBO off the din rail, terminating cables, and then placing back on the di rail (see pic below). Also the room available to dress the cables/conductors is limited (especially with RCBO's), made it look a pigs ear, admittedly not my best area :oops:

MK7932S[1].jpg

So, with some new CU's to be installed in the New Year, what makes do you install & why. I'm leaning towards the Hager Design 30, due to the layout inside?

have a look at both Contactum and BG amd.3 CUs. both are asthetically pleasing and good value. there's also the Schneider easy 9.but i don't like it.

I like Wylex DBs mainly because there is plenty of room, they also leave enough space behind the din rail which is my biggest gripe with other manufacturers.

They don't look the best though.

Can't go wrong with hager imo...BG are proper crap imo.
What dont you like about BG Lee?

I have always fitted Wylex and continued after Amd 3 to fit Amd 3 Wylex boards, however the price of the BG made me try one and I rather like it.

I've never liked the main switch on Wylex boards. The top of the switch starts coming apart before you have tigthtened the tails up enough.

Hagar look like one of the best but the price puts me off especially as other boards (well, Wylex and BG) seem acceptable.

Hager are far and away the best for the MCB's lining up and the lid going on with no difficultly. Hardly ever a failed MCB/RCD either.

The MCB's are tight enough on the DIN rail that it takes a bit of pressure to slide them along. How difficult can it be for all makes to fit this snugly!

Admittedly I'm not a fan of the square knockouts though.

Hager are far and away the best for the MCB's lining up and the lid going on with no difficultly. Hardly ever a failed MCB/RCD either.

The MCB's are tight enough on the DIN rail that it takes a bit of pressure to slide them along. How difficult can it be for all makes to fit this snugly!

Admittedly I'm not a fan of the square knockouts though.
They've just brought out ones with round knockouts after listening to feed back.

What dont you like about BG Lee?

I have always fitted Wylex and continued after Amd 3 to fit Amd 3 Wylex boards, however the price of the BG made me try one and I rather like it.

I've never liked the main switch on Wylex boards. The top of the switch starts coming apart before you have tigthtened the tails up enough.

Hagar look like one of the best but the price puts me off especially as other boards (well, Wylex and BG) seem acceptable.
I don't like the crimps on the neutral tails, don't like the lid and the way it fits especially when the wall isn't completely true, they feel cheap and look like a DIY board.

Im a hager fan myself. they are in the process of bringing out small rcbos's that are the same size as MCB's so makes dressing the conductors in the board better. I had to do a swap recently and with the central earth bar above the rcbo's it looked a bit of a mess tbh... can be a bit awkward to get your line and neutral out for subsequent testing when everything is in and done though. but for quality i can not fault hager. The problem is most CU's are made for mcbs and have not been updated to reflect the larger size of rcbo's, some brnads have specific units but they are few and far between

Hager for me every day of the week. And not really any more expensive in the scheme of things. For a 10 way BG is around ÂŁ70?? For the same Hager Design 10 it's around ÂŁ85 from Eddys or Yesss.
I won't touch another BG if I can help it, had so many problems with them. Knockouts too well spot-welded, numerous failed cage clamps and failed RCDs, cover that won't go back on without an almighty fight. BG ~ bad gear...

I was tempted by the MK when they first came out due to the design, but after seeing one again after a couple of months I felt the curvy front already looked dated..

To be honest I think there is faults with all consumer units. And I think preference also depends on how you like to second fix your DB.

Personally I like to remove everything and strip my cables level with the Din rail I then label the sheath with a sharpie and neatly dress my cables just behind the din rail.
It's why I like the Wylex boards, because they have ample space to do this, it doesnt matter a difference if you have a 10mm2 T&E comming from the top or the bottom.
However I don't like there tri rated tails they always look messy where they are crushed at the ends and they show to much copper. The boards also look a bit dated and their mcbs look a little cheap compaired with Hager.

My favourite looking DBs are Hager they are also my favorite Mcbs. If only they had a bit more space behind the din rail I'd probably use these all the time. They are also cheaper than Wylex in our local wholesalers.

Reply to Which domestic Consumer Unit and why? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net