Discuss Which out of these 3 corded SDS drills? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
My cordless SDS is just not going to be up to the job of lots of channeling out so I am going to buy a corded..

I've decided on Bosch as that seems to be the majority choice, but even then there is still quite a variety, so I've narrowed it down to 3 :

1. GBH2000 2kg Bosch 2kg SDS Plus Drill GBH2000 240V | SDS Plus 3 Function | NoLinkingToThis

2. GBH 2-28DV Bosch GBH 2-28DV 2kg SDS Plus Drill 240V | SDS Plus 3 Function | NoLinkingToThis

3. GBH 2-24D Bosch GBH 2-24 D 2kg SDS Plus Hammer Drill 240V | SDS Plus 3 Function | NoLinkingToThis

The GBH2000 is £100 and 620W,
The GBH 2-28DV is £200 and 850W,
The GBH 2-24D is £125 and 790W.

Basically, will they all be up to chopping out walls for cable and sockets (or would you need a 4kg) and why pay the extra for the more expensive ones if the GBH2000 does the job? (It has lots of good reviews)

Cheers all...

Last edited:
Are you going to be doing a lot of chasing with it? If so none of those drills would be that great for it.

Are you going to be doing a lot of chasing with it? If so none of those drills would be that great for it.

Chasing/channeling/chopping.. never too sure what to call it!! Yes, this is for a partial rewire/refurb.

option 2.
i have a bosch as my main big drill for chasing and chiselling. its ok on old houses, but a bit of a struggle when theres proper hard bricks and lots of chiselling,,,
cutting the chase with grinder or chaser helps a lot, and you have to make frequent breaks for machine to cool down.

How about buying a dedicated wall chaser?

option 2.
i have a bosch as my main big drill for chasing and chiselling. its ok on old houses, but a bit of a struggle when theres proper hard bricks and lots of chiselling,,,
cutting the chase with grinder or chaser helps a lot, and you have to make frequent breaks for machine to cool down.

I dont expect to have many of these jobs, perhaps one or 2 a year, so I dont really want to get a chaser as well. Having looked at the spec a bit more I dont like the 1.6J impact energy for the GBH2000. Perhaps the GBH 2-26 (didn't see that one at screwfix!).. it has 3J, so it must be able to chase out a few walls once or twice a year?

option 2.

So wiser to spend a bit extra and buy the bigger machine for the job then as in post #5 ;) It doesn't need breaks to cool down and will do the work in a lot less time.

I have got a Bosch 36V VFL-I Cordless, works very well for chasing and knocking back boxes out, but doing regular wall chasing will bugger up the best of cordless tools, you need a proper wall chaser for that.

But the 36v Bosch, its excellent for backboxes etc.

I have got a Bosch 36V VFL-I Cordless, works very well for chasing and knocking back boxes out, but doing regular wall chasing will bugger up the best of cordless tools, you need a proper wall chaser for that.

my makita 18v sds matches it just, id seriously consider the makita corded but i have never looked at the spec so can't comment

It's also a compromise between weight and power. I'm more than happy with my GBH2-24 although I do have a Hilti chasing machine as well.

Whichever SDS you buy, make sure it has a reverse switch and variable speed.

Wall chasers (twin cutting discs that have a variable width) are great - Tel showed me his once and it is a great piece of kit (oerrr missus).

but

they generate more dust than Versuvious (spelt wrong) which is ok if its an empty house but if its the occupied one you mentioned.....

It's also a compromise between weight and power. I'm more than happy with my GBH2-24 although I do have a Hilti chasing machine as well.

Whichever SDS you buy, make sure it has a reverse switch and variable speed.

Do you use this for much chasing out for cable and backbox's? I do like the look of it, but for an extra £20 I could go up to the 2-26 which is tempting!

Wall chasers (twin cutting discs that have a variable width) are great - Tel showed me his once and it is a great piece of kit (oerrr missus).

but

they generate more dust than Versuvious (spelt wrong) which is ok if its an empty house but if its the occupied one you mentioned.....

It is!!!

I got the 2- 28 one HHD, that one has a metal gearbox casing the lower ones in the range are plastic , I found it spot on for just about anything I want to do with it, I never tried the lower versions though so cannot really advise there.

Then again I have a bigger 6Kg SDS for bigger stuff and light demolition etc., this one is too heavy for chasing though, it knocks the bricks out lol :)

But he wants a corded Drill

I got the 2- 28 one HHD, that one has a metal gearbox casing the lower ones in the range are plastic , I found it spot on for just about anything I want to do with it, I never tried the lower versions though so cannot really advise there.

Then again I have a bigger 6Kg SDS for bigger stuff and light demolition etc., this one is too heavy for chasing though, it knocks the bricks out lol :)

Cheers S68!! :smile5: The spec for the 2-24 and 2-26 does say metal gearbox though! Are you sure they are plastic? Spec could be wrong..

Reply to Which out of these 3 corded SDS drills? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net