Discuss Which phone.... in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

Guest123

How do.

So, I been waiting what seems like forever for an ip4 to arrive and am still being messed about.

Been looking at the Blackberry Torch as an alternative, does anyone have any comments on this handset in comparison to the ip4??, or any other models that do the same kind kind of thing.

Many thanks.

:cool:

I had an iphone and loved it.. Not any more though, realized I was paying for loads of calls I never used so I smashed it, got a new one and sold it on ebay. Shhhh

Used the proceeds to take my gal away for a week and propose marriage.

She has got a blackberry, I don't know much about it apart from the keys are really small and fiddly, so that alone would put me off to be honest.

You can get some pretty good electrical calculation applications on the iphone too, well handy.

I had an iphone and loved it.. Not any more though, realized I was paying for loads of calls I never used so I smashed it, got a new one and sold it on ebay. Shhhh

Used the proceeds to take my gal away for a week and propose marriage.

She has got a blackberry, I don't know much about it apart from the keys are really small and fiddly, so that alone would put me off to be honest.

You can get some pretty good electrical calculation applications on the iphone too, well handy.
you can't keep us in suspenders. did she say yes?????

Indeed she did, well happy... That was back on May 1st down in Padstow, Cornwall. In the exact same place that my dad proposed to my mum on may day all them years ago.

Sorry for the massive change of subject Lenny...

Back to the phones.

HTC Desire Lenny, its not an accident to be named phone of the year, Blackberry Torch is no doubt good (for a Blackberry), but what it does on release date is what HTC and Apple were doing this time last year.

I would still swear by the i phone over the blackberry every time but have never had any experience of the htc to comment on it.

That must be at least 2 months you have been waiting for the ip4.

Got the Blackberry Torch arriving tomorrow. Been there with Windows 7 and sent it back within 3 hours, its crap. Typical Microsoft, half arsed attempt at something new and let the customer snag all of the faults. Windows Phone would not communicate with a windows computer!!! Loads of issues if you research them. All I wanted was a phone that would sync with my laptop ( appointments, contacts etc). This was a problem with a lot of Android phones too.......

Its got to be the iphone nothing on the market can touch it. If you buy one sim free go for the simplicity sim only plan from 02, for 20 quid a month it gives you unlimited (within reason) internet access. im doing this thread from my iphone4!!

Its got to be the iphone nothing on the market can touch it. If you buy one sim free go for the simplicity sim only plan from 02, for 20 quid a month it gives you unlimited (within reason) internet access. im doing this thread from my iphone4!!

O2 limit data to between 500Mb and 1Gb a monthly billing period, depending upon contract/tariff.

T-Mobile, so far are the only ones not limiting data (well 3Gb) on their MAx tariff - £60 a month, all you can eat, iPhone 4 £49.

Also you can use Orange's 2G network too, if you're out of T-Mobile coverage.

CPW have the iPhone in stock just now, though think T-Mob still having supply issues.

Rahhhhh!

I have an HTC Desire, and a Blackberry Bold 9700.

I have sync issues, as pretty well all handsets do, for one reason. None of them bothered to update their "sync" adaptors, that Microsoft what's it called - Activesync or some other bundle of junk. It is ALL Microsoft's fault!!!!!!

Why the {insert your preferred expletive here} would they release 64 bit Microsoft Office, to run on 64 Bit Windows 7, and NOT release a 64 bit version of Activestink to work with it, and just about every damn phone out there?

So, if keeping Outlook synced with your phone is what you're after, it's a case of forget it for now, or do it through Google Apps. It's a {insert your preferred expletive here} rip off, as usual.

Either that, or make sure you're still running a 32 bit version of Office/Outlook - oh, Office - you cannot run a 32 bit Office app with a 64 bit version (so if e.g. Word is 64 bit on your machine, Outlook also has to be).

Wind up isn't in it.

Microsoft have corralled all the phone manufacturers into a corner and told them 2011 for release of a 64 bit version of Activejunk. It stinks.

Yes, people, I have a little passion, shall we say, about this one.

Rant off. Back to the phone thing.

As said, I have an HTC Desire - lovely phone, but not a business phone. Really, Android has not got the support or apps it needs to make it in heavy duty business environs yet. Another year or so, it may.

Blackberry - business phone of choice, given it does email like no other, however many email accounts you throw at it, does it in less than 20% of the bandwidth an iPhone or Android takes (think data use), and *can* do internet, Twitter, Facebook, Spreadsheet, Word, etc., with a little effort - Docs to Go is the app of choice for MS Office files and PDF files too.

Blackberry is normally let down by its screen - it's fractions of the size of the IP4 or the HTC.

Haven't played with the Torch yet, but BB6 (the OS that it runs on) promises good things, and the Torch is also the first touch/type phone they've done - hardware specs aren't stunning next to the IP4, but if keeping your business on the go is what you're after, it may be the best for you.

The IP4, of course, can pretty well do it all, reasonably. It does email, is killer for internet, and well, it's an iPod too.

But, like everything Apple, it will be obsolete around February next year. Then you'll all want an IP5, or 4-3GS, or whatever they call the next iteration.

In terms of apps, you'll get most free on the Android platform, then BB, then Apple - where almost nothing worthwhile (business) is free.

All that said, I'm still probably going to hit an IP4 up at contract renewal in...oh, 2 weeks or so. I'll be moving it, like the rest of our phones to T-Mobile. They knock the pants off O2 right now, in every way, I won't even look at Vodafone after the way they treated us this year, and Orange is, well, more of a lemon. I don't really want Dolphins, or Canaries, or Panthers running round my office, just contracts which tell me what they give, in a simple way.

I was with Orange for years - and never really got much from them one way or another, and only T-Mobile (Yeah, I know they're "Everything Everywhere" together now), have been helpful at all in any way - £60 quid a month to do what I want - unlimited calls, unlimited text, unlimited browsing inc email (with the £5 bolt on thing through CPW)........so, £65 a month if I make sure to minimise calls to 08 numbers.

And their internet is faster than OhToo or Voda too - both at 3.6MBPS, whereas T-Mob are delivering 7.2 every time.

I should mention, I will keep my Bold too - in one network or another, as a most reliable back up/email device.

Been with Orange since before it was Orange and seem to be getting amazing deals. 1200 minutes, unlimited text, blackberry service all for just £27 per month (inc VAT).

Fully agree with Bills post. If you want to keep your data on your own computer and sync with a phone, its getting harder. Most are pushing you towards "Cloud" accounts or exchange servers. At least the BB desktop is free and will integrate with windows.

Update instructions for Windows 7 phone - to import contacts insert your old sim card!!!!!! I dont store my data on the sim as the data stored is limited. I Have contacts with sometime 3 numbers and 2-3 e-mails. This equates to 6 sim entries that are split on import!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got my HTC desire HD ( was meanrt to get IP4 but 3 had problems getting it at no cost loads of phone calls to budbuds canceled upgrade )

Desire seems great so far and very easy to use and navigate specialy the email and app store

OK new Torch has just arrived, and in under 10 minutes I have everything set-up and all data transferred...... (I did download the Blackberry desktop software ahead of the delivery) So far so good. the Phone seems to be bloody easy to use and navigate, and the various shorcut options seem pretty intuitive e.g. opening a text will bring up the reply, forward and delete options at the bottom of the screen......e-mail is a doddle and the iTunes sync is good too......Lets see what the longer term happiness brings..................

Just got my HTC desire HD ( was meanrt to get IP4 but 3 had problems getting it at no cost loads of phone calls to budbuds canceled upgrade )

Desire seems great so far and very easy to use and navigate specialy the email and app store

I've been told that the handset is massive......is this right???

Reply to Which phone.... in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net