Discuss Which Protective device on MWC in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi hope someone can help, i need to record the protective device on a MWC and not sure which to enter.

I have removed an old bathroom heater on a 20A radial and rerouted cabling to feed an RCD FCU, the load side of which feeds into the bathroom serving towel rail with a local DP (20A) switch.

On the MWC for protective device, should I enter the 20A fuse serving the entire circuit, or the 3A 1361 within the RCD; or should I write out two seperate certs for each leg. Thanks

Alright looking at this this way, say hypothetically an fcu is fitted to 2.5mm ring (protected by 32A c/b), the load side of the 13A FCU supplying some equipment is in 1.5mm.

So for above scenario the MWC protective device would still be the 32A c/b ?

Either/or as Murdoch beat me to it if putting on one MWC state towel rail protected by local RCD protected switched fused spur with 3A BS1361 fuse.

The minor works certificate asks for the protective device for the modified circuit so why bother mentioning the bs 1362 fuse as it's the mcb in the consumer unit it's concerned with?
You can make a note as already suggested say via a 3amp FCU

But the fuse and FCU is a part of the modification, why not cover yourself with a little extra detail.
Yeah I would always state tho the device in the consumer unit as the over current protective device.
In comments I would say something like
External light installed via fused connection unit fitted with 3 amp fuse from say down stairs ring final circuit.

As a side note do any people write down the ring continuity results if say spuring a double socket from local ring final circuit in the comments section?

I'd just record the Zs in that example, in reality that would almost always be a low cost job and you wouldn't be allowing the time for end to end testing.
Do you not confirm that the ring is actually a ring and that adding a extra socket brings a final of overloading part of the circuit as it's discontinuous?
I record it just to cover my self really

Generally the Zs reading would tell you a lot about that Ian but I'd check both ends were live at the point I was taking the spur from while disconnected.

Do you not confirm that the ring is actually a ring and that adding a extra socket brings a final of overloading part of the circuit as it's discontinuous?
I record it just to cover my self really
If I work on a ring final I always note the continuity readings.

Generally the Zs reading would tell you a lot about that Ian but I'd check both ends were live at the point I was taking the spur from while disconnected.
What disconnect the ring, liven it up and see if both ends show voltage.

Reply to Which Protective device on MWC in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net