Discuss Which RCBO? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

zap

-
Reaction score
Greetings,

I've purchased an ECD RCBO which I've used before to some success. However, although it physically fits in place of the circuit breaker the bottom of it doesn't reach the line bus bar. Can anyone point me at the correct replacement RCBO for this type of breaker. Images of the existing breaker and the GE mark are below. Any help appreciated. I have seen an enclosure modified but that looks a bodge.

upload1.jpgIMG_1684.jpg

Last edited:
You can/should only fit the correct manufacturer parts to consumer unit, as its usually specified within BS7671 that manufacturers guidelines should be followed and most state only their parts to be used and no modifications should be undertaken then its in breach of the regs... having said this some manufacturers have several sub companies and actually use the same mold/case mcb/rcbo and just brand them different so can be acceptable to make a noted point on the cert that the replacement is compatible at sourcs.

The mcb you have their is made by General Electric.

Are the levers on those MCB's supposed to be at a peculiar angle or have they taken a beating?

You can/should only fit the correct manufacturer parts to consumer unit, as its usually specified within BS7671 that manufacturers guidelines should be followed and most state only their parts to be used and no modifications should be undertaken then its in breach of the regs... having said this some manufacturers have several sub companies and actually use the same mold/case mcb/rcbo and just brand them different so can be acceptable to make a noted point on the cert that the replacement is compatible at sourcs.

Hi Darkwood, my sentiment entirely and thanks for the post, again...

Thanks Richard, I'll take a look.

Phew! £60 +... I'm only paying a fifth of that for an ECD rcbo.

This begs another question: What if the customer won't or can't afford this device?
You could split the circuit out to an RCBO in a separate enclosure and then back to the circuit.
If it is a required device for the equipment you are installing then you cannot really proceed with out installing this protection in some form.

Sorry to disagree mate, but, The manufacturers instructions do come before the Regs, but the regs state MCB's should be BS60898, so if a MCB is to BS60898, there is no problem shoving any other make into any other board as long as it fits properly. There are design tolerances to consider, but a BS60898 has to meet certain standards, and if it doesn't then it isn't BS60898.

Audi say that you should only fit genuine Audi parts (they would wouldn't they?)! The brake pads from them are BS certified, and the ones from the local factor are also BS to the same number, the only difference is £80, so guess where my pads came from.

Cheers…………….Howard

Sorry to disagree mate, but, The manufacturers instructions do come before the Regs, but the regs state MCB's should be BS60898, so if a MCB is to BS60898, there is no problem shoving any other make into any other board as long as it fits properly. There are design tolerances to consider, but a BS60898 has to meet certain standards, and if it doesn't then it isn't BS60898.

Audi say that you should only fit genuine Audi parts (they would wouldn't they?)! The brake pads from them are BS certified, and the ones from the local factor are also BS to the same number, the only difference is £80, so guess where my pads came from.

Cheers…………….Howard

I realise and can somewhat agree with areas of your counter argument but BS60898 doesn't specify module shape or terminal positions, heights etc very few mcb's fit alternative boards without issues of lid alignment, stress to busbars or less obvious issues like busbar pin and receiving terminal design. Your example is a poor one as MCB's are not designed as a cheaper alternative than the manufacturers original part, they are designed for their own brand boards. You £80 cheaper pads are designed as direct alternative to main dealer brands thus are specifically designed - BS standards give a minimum standards to abide by where your cheaper versions may meet this standard sometimes paying the £80 extra could be the difference of your pads stopping you before you hit the kid or after - extreme example but you get the drift. Personally thats the last place id be going budget is on car brakes.. hope i don't need to explain why.
BS apply a level and criteria that must be met to comply they do not distinguish the quality and service life between the different brands available that meet them.

Yes if its a board and you can ensure that the mcb is identical in every sense specifically to terminal position and all other physical size issues including clean tight, neat fitting of the lid then you can note it and fit... the area you need to be careful on is fitting a alternative brand in a new board as this voids all its warranty the manufacturer applies to both mcb and existing board.

Ive seen mcb's that seem to fit all the criteria of the original and seemingly fit perfect but the clamp was 0.5mm out in height so the pin was only pressed on by the terminal plate and didn't clamp fully on the rear side but seemed tight.. the mcb burnt out because high stress were exerted on the plastic lip that hooks to the dinrail which eventually deformed .. giving loose busbar clamp... what im trying to say not every issue is easy to see or realise so ill stick in this case with the correct mcb's for the correct D.B.s... unless you can proof both mcb's are moulded to the same design. (physically identical - bar the name)

Last edited:
Think Id be tempted to stick with the manuf original part especially if manuf instructions state anything like this regardless of BS EN numbers etc .....

If the sh*t hits the fan I dont think any CCU manuf would be accepting the blame for anything if their RCBO wasnt fitted, similarly the RCBO manuf wouldnt be accepting any liability for their RCBO fitted to someone elses CCU! Not suggesting a manuf (or more importantly their insurance companies) would seize on any opportunity as a reason for not paying out any monies but I personally would rather not take the risk!

Toolstation use to do ge rcbo can still get them online same height as a normal circuit breaker not tall like all the other rcbos and have no flying earth lead just the neutral best ones I have ever used but are hard to come by

Reply to Which RCBO? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net