Discuss Which Reg in the Yellow book in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

tony mc

-
Arms
Reaction score
Reg 433.1.204
Is in relation to Accessories to BS 1363 supplied through a Ring Final circuit etc and Appendix 15 gives Ring and Radial circuit arrangements.

The minimum CSA is 2.5 mm (1.5 MI ) unless a FCU is used and it can be reduced!

Just been asked to find the Reg which states 1.5mm CSA cable cant be used as a radial which has a 16A mcb on the circuit with 3 doulbe socket outlets connected.

Think I am looking too hard!

Thanks

Doesn't it depend on what installation method you are using and what load characteristics?
Which Reg in the Yellow book upload_2016-10-27_11-45-3 - EletriciansForums.net

Thanks Spoon I looked at Appendix 15 but this is a cct direct from the CU on a 16A mcb I will have a look at table 52.3

OP it depends on the design of the circuit, load & method of installation. The use of an FCU on a RFC to supply further sockets etc (appendix 15), relies on the fact that the maximum fuse (manufactured) for load side of the FCU is 13amp. Table 4D5 (insulated & sheathed flat cable) has various ccc for 1.5mm dependant on method on installation.

6242y 1.5mm could be fed via a 16mcb at CU, dependant on type of load, method of installation and consideration of volt drop. Personally, in these circumstances I would consider 2.5mm as a minimum, as demonstrated in Appendix 15.

When designing circuits, you must ensure the CCC of conductors is greater than the rating of any OverCurrent Protective Devices.
With an RFC this is achieved because the two legs of the ring are in effect parallel conductors. It is the combined CCC of the two legs which is greater than the rating of the OCPD.
With a standard RFC protected by a 30/32A OCPD, all conductors and accessories must be rated at a minimum of 20A. Spurs are allowed using 20A conductors if they feed a single accessory, as the accessory is also rated at 20A.
Where a spur is intended to supply two or more accessories, then either overcurrent protection must be provided such as by use of an FCU, or conductors with a CCC greater than the OCPD should be used.
So an unfused spur using 2.5mm conductors feeding two or more accessories is not permitted, whereas it may be permitted if the conductors are 4mm.
Where an FCU is used, then the conductors can be less than 20A, as long as they have a minimum CSA of 1.5mm and have a CCC greater than the fuse in the FCU.

OP it depends on the design of the circuit, load & method of installation. The use of an FCU on a RFC to supply further sockets etc (appendix 15), relies on the fact that the maximum fuse (manufactured) for load side of the FCU is 13amp. Table 4D5 (insulated & sheathed flat cable) has various ccc for 1.5mm dependant on method on installation.

6242y 1.5mm could be fed via a 16mcb at CU, dependant on type of load, method of installation and consideration of volt drop. Personally, in these circumstances I would consider 2.5mm as a minimum, as demonstrated in Appendix 15.
What he said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Rarely seen 1.5 MICC on ring finals anymore, and I could be wrong saying this but I am certain it is correct, it does not apply if four core cables are used, whether 4L1 or 4H1. This was a common method once upon a time and is a good spot on an EICR.

Reply to Which Reg in the Yellow book in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock