Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

Discuss which type of isolator as back up for tails over 3metres? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Aaron Roberts

Aaron Roberts Guest

I'm changing my old rewirable cu for a new dual rcd board and must also replace the old isolator located away from the cu. It's next to the meter which is over 3 metres away in the front porch.

Which type of isolator should I use and how should it be fitted e.g. in an ip rated enclosure using blind grommets with slits in. Is this method in breach of the regs ip4x?

Please help :)

2. thw1965

thw1965 Guest

well if its in a covered waterproof porch it wont require a waterproof enclosure. Any double pole isolator with the appropriate ampage rating, they are normally 80 or100 amps will do.

3. Knobhead

Knobhead Guest

HaHa now go walking the trolls

4. rich.250

rich.250 Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Rich Williams Electrical
    It will need to be an over current protective device, not isolator. As you are 'fusing down' to protect the tails.
    I'd suggest a switched fuse unit

5. rich.250

rich.250 Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Rich Williams Electrical
    Also IP4X is only for a readily accessible top surface, The rest you need to achieve IP2X.
    And additional protection for tails if buried in a wall, by rcd or other means.
    Hope this helps

6. WPD Lad

WPD Lad Guest

Sounds like you'll need a KMF depending on the route of the tails

7. High Tower

High Tower Trusted Advisor

kmf or if your feeling flush, a wylex 110/M switch fuse

8. Engineer54

Engineer54 Guest

An isolator won't cut it i'm afraid, it needs to be an appropriately rated switch fuse.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Richard

Richard Electrician's Arms

Always used a KMF in this situation. Rich

10. GLENNSPARK

GLENNSPARK Electrician's Arms

firstly ...you need to be sure that the new position for the C/U is OK.....that is to say that the C/U and anything alse asocciated with this install (earthing....bonding ...both main and supplementary) etc is up to the latest edition of BS7671...before undertaking ANY WORK HERE...............

11. GLENNSPARK

GLENNSPARK Electrician's Arms

and to make sure that theres no external influeses (mutual detrimental influenses)such as hot pipework.....band 2`s..or any other sillyness like that................