Discuss Which way additional consumer board or use existing in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I'm having an extension built, electrics are going to plan. Socket cables are in (went for new ring in the end), light cables and I decided to add a feed for the shed which comes in on 2.5 anaconda.
My question is should I add a new consumer board using 10mm twin off a space in the existing consumer board. 40a MCB.
Was think of this
British General 8-Module 6-Way Part-Populated Main Switch Consumer Unit | Domestic Consumer Units | screwflix..com - https://www.screwflix..com/p/british-general-8-module-6-way-part-populated-main-switch-consumer-unit/8847j
or take cables back to the existing consumer box which has enough spaces, I've also left all cables long enough for both ways to work.

Thanks
Terry

If the CU is ok for the new circuit then why would you want to add another CU?
What benefits would you have for adding another CU?
I take it that you are notifying this work?
Are you also doing all the testing?

I'm having an extension built, electrics are going to plan. Socket cables are in (went for new ring in the end), light cables and I decided to add a feed for the shed which comes in on 2.5 anaconda.
My question is should I add a new consumer board using 10mm twin off a space in the existing consumer board. 40a MCB.
Was think of this
British General 8-Module 6-Way Part-Populated Main Switch Consumer Unit | Domestic Consumer Units | screwflix..com - https://www.screwflix..com/p/british-general-8-module-6-way-part-populated-main-switch-consumer-unit/8847j
or take cables back to the existing consumer box which has enough spaces, I've also left all cables long enough for both ways to work.

Thanks
Terry
Terry, what do you want the new CU for along with the 10mm2 cable? you have stated you have alreadtcatered for the shed via a 2.5mm2 cable I'm confused.

2.5 anaconda

OK I'll bight,wtf ----------?
Anaconda is a type of flexible conduit, or it was when I was on the tools. May be weloff here but when I used it, it was a sealed conduit, sealed for liquids, which makes me wonder WTF did we use it for?

Last edited:
I got asked to look at a job WIP recently .......... the diyer wanted me to test, inspect and sign off ......... a quick glance around at the 1st fix told me enough to decline to get involved...............

I'm having an extension built, electrics are going to plan.

Bold statement considering the shed bonding requirements and type of earthing questions haven't yet surfaced:D

And don't be concerned about notification,I'm sure one of the lads here will supply you a eicr to cover that if needed :)

@sparksburnout, we’ve missed you but didn’t realise until I read your post!
How’s that puppy of yours, behaving herself? Post a few photies!
Good to read you again.

@sparksburnout, we’ve missed you but didn’t realise until I read your post!
How’s that puppy of yours, behaving herself? Post a few photies!
Good to read you again.
Thanks for your kind words! Not good news on the Mable front, it's a long story but I had to re-home her, still not properly over it to be honest. There are other dogs in the family and they wouldn't get on with her, I couldn't stand the stress to be honest, enough said. She's gone to a great home though and is getting along just fine. I might consider getting a proper pup in time, hopefully. Anyway I've sussed our Terry out:
"I'm after a little advice I have a fair amount of 12 gauge hot neutral and ground cable. Is there any reason apart from the colours being different I can't use this in my upcoming extension?
I believe from my basic research it will take 230volts and in the US they use it for 20 amp circuits, so will be ok on a 16amp trip switch.

Many thanks
Terry"
Bet the BCO will love it when he clocks his yankee cables!!!

I would politely suggest you address these questions to the spark doing the work ..........

I've an electronics degree which was some years ago & and IT degree so I think I'm more than qualified to know what I'm doing!

type of earthing questions haven't yet surfaced

Well I'm not touching the earthing so that answers that question.

In which case he needs to talk to his BCO!
The builder has already notified BCO and they have attended site once already.

Reply to Which way additional consumer board or use existing in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock