Discuss Whiska Quixx in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I personally think that we are own worst enemies when it comes to these issues. Once tails are correctly shaped into a CU and terminated and tightened correctly then the fitting of a gland to the situation is optimum. Cable clamps within the CU tail route is way over the top, only an earthquake could unsettle those tails and by then you wouldn't care about your electrics!
If the CU comes with a clamp, use it (Hager). I do, however, believe in the use of glands, they give strength and the hold required. (Good for after shocks!)
The Wiska Quixx help the hold and keep an IP rate in my opinion.

Agreeing with above, as a side note does anyone still wrap the conductor of the tails with one of the strands to hold them in place, I still do was how I was taught. Return the next day to recheck them and the termination is still solid because the strands don't move.

I flatten them out with pliers to the shape of the cage clamp.
Yes, the way I was taught, you'll find that the settling effect is much less but still need a wiggle and a 5 minute tighten. Good practice. Haven't heard the single strand use @westward10 - do you mean take a single long strand and spiral it around the termination length to act as a pin ferrule type termination?

Yes, the way I was taught, you'll find that the settling effect is much less but still need a wiggle and a 5 minute tighten. Good practice. Haven't heard the single strand use @westward10 - do you mean take a single long strand and spiral it around the termination length to act as a pin ferrule type termination?
That is correct, they never budge.

I guess it takes less time with a hammer - it is Tels 1st tool of choice. Of course I wouldn't say that in front of him as he'd Tw4t me with his first choice!

Just googled the Wiska Quixx. They are basically a flame retardant blind grommet by the looks of them. I use either plastic or metal tail glands with the three holes.

The hammer bit was a joke Westward, of that I am sure! But I too slightly flatten the tails with pliers. They are then better shaped to go into the cage clamp. I find as the copper conductors relax into the position they need less retightening than if they were put in without any 'shaping' first. It does work, I have experimented with it and the conductors achieve a larger contact area within the clamp, as well as the mentioned lesser degree of relaxation.

I have never heard nor seen the spiral method, would be intrigued to see a photo.

Just seeing peoples opinions on the whiska Quixx glands for tails? Bad practice to use them without tails clamps within CU?

I would opt for the proper glands rather than those grommets.

As RPA says though, the tails won't be going nowhere any time soon. It can be a royal PITA to shape them into position in the first place so they are not going to suddenly spring out.

Only issue I can see is if the tails are in a vulnerable position and get knocked a lot, or are used as a brolly hook for years. Then they might slowly work loose and create a high resistance joint but they will still not bounce out.

I will stick to the glands. I normally use the whiska sprint plastic gland but they are abit unsightly and i have a client that is, lets say, fussy...... And his cu is on show. I bought one of the nickle plated glands from whiska and seen the quixx things when i was in the wholesalers, they said they are compliant but i cant see any support from them without a clamp in the cu.

This brass nickle plated one is like a blooming hand grenade.

Reply to Whiska Quixx in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net