Discuss Who Are You? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

HandySparks

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
This poll is for all Forum members. Please read the poll carefully and then choose the best description in the context of your membership of the forum. I can't include all options, so you might like to go into more detail by posting in the thread.

The poll is confidential (forum names are not visible).

For the purposes of the poll:
'Apprenticeship' means a pre-planned formal arrangement for multiple years of structured classroom and on-the-job training.
'Short Course' means a concentrated course of less than 6 weeks of mostly classroom based learning. (Just a C&G 2381 / 2382 'regs' course doesn't count.)
'Electrician' means anyone doing hands-on installation, maintenance, repair or testing of electrical systems (normally for payment) and includes 'domestic installer'.

hmm what am i classed as? i havent done any classroom training with while being employed by this company but i do get onsite training

im an amateur grade 6 musician

thats same grade as an electrician with nvq3 acording to gov website XD wtf why did i retrain lol

Just to get the ball rolling, I've never done an electrical apprenticeship or even a short course. I do have a qualification in mechanical engineering and I've done my own plumbing and wiring for over 30 years. My only formal electrical education was one evening a week for 10 weeks on the C&G 2381 (plus later updates), followed by a similar time on the 2391 course.

However, I knew ohms law and how to use a soldering iron before I was a teenager. I have experience in the electricity supply industry and in designing electro-mechanical equipment for various purposes including mobile phone infrastructure and for the British Army.

The poll is visible now. What's the purpose of the poll or the motivation behind it?

Fair question.

My hope is that it will gauge the mix of forum members and, maybe, show that there is more than one valid route into the role of 'electrician'.

Tin hat at the ready, but let's keep this civil.

I have ticked 'Electrician-other' as I studied at my own expense at night school whilst working self-employed in the industry. I have 2330 level 2 and 3. NVQ level 2 and 3, AM2 , 17th Ed. and 8 years experience and currently work as an electrician for Local Authority on street lighting. I have a JIB Gold Card with Installation Electrician on it.

I haven't even scratched the surface of electrics, and I'm the first to admit it. I'm in the camp of 'don't know, don't touch- ask'.

Luckily, I've a few well respected people to ask, or preferably refer the job to, that I've met from forums.

You know who you are.

Voltz

Cant really see any point. You can gauge a members experience from their posts,and we know that there is more than one route into the trade. Older members are more likely to be apprentice trained than younger members perhaps.It might be more interesting to find out peoples route into the trade against their age and previous employment history....that would show how things have changed. But then we know that anyway dont we?

Cant really see any point. You can gauge a members experience from their posts,and we know that there is more than one route into the trade. Older members are more likely to be apprentice trained than younger members perhaps.It might be more interesting to find out peoples route into the trade against their age and previous employment history....that would show how things have changed. But then we know that anyway dont we?

Do not agree there, some people can talk an good job, it's what you can do that counts, nobody is going to see that on an forum.

Im a trained fire alarm engineer. Im not an electrician however I'm on this site because i like to learn and find it can be useful to know some stuff that bridges between being an alarm engineer and an electrician.
Hoping this year to get work to put me through an electrical apprenticeship but we will see!

C&G 2380
C&G 2382
C&G 2360 1&2
C&G ONC electronics
C&G 2391
C&G 2377

But as a DI am I a proper sparks?..................................who knows

Reply to Who Are You? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net