Discuss Who Are You? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Just had a look at the poll results to date (to which i have not contributed). Surprise, surprise not a single fast track DI, which leads me to believe (as i first suspected) that a fair bit of porky pie's are being told, or that none are willing to accept what they actually are. I also didn't realised that we had 10 Engineers on the books here, when i can only think of 3 names off the top of my head....

Just had a look at the poll results to date (to which i have not contributed). Surprise, surprise not a single fast track DI, which leads me to believe (as i first suspected) that a fair bit of porky pie's are being told, or that none are willing to accept what they actually are. I also didn't realised that we had 10 Engineers on the books here, when i can only think of 3 names off the top of my head....

I think there are 4 people who have voted fast track DI, its the currently training to be a fast track DI that has no votes

I suppose its a small window of opportunity to catch someone currently on a fast track course!

I think there are 4 people who have voted fast track DI, its the currently training to be a fast track DI that has no votes

I suppose its a small window of opportunity to catch someone currently on a fast track course!
i selected training other as i started 2330 2+3 on my own then when i started apprentaship later i started on 2357 and used my 2330 as prior learning.

Your right pennychew, my mistake!! But we all know that the numbers here far out number the qualified electricians and increasing alarmingly.

I didn't tick anything.
I got married halfway through the second year of my apprenticeship and had to earn more money so l was employed as a mate so l got the enhanced wage.
Then was promoted to " Improver " because l had some knowledge and was more than capable of working on my own.
Then decided to go back to college ( at my own expense) and did three years night school.
During this time I got distinctions and credits on most of my exams.
My employer put me on the full rate and told me that I was an electrician.
I have kept up with my regs exams as required. I am of the opinion that you never stop learning and I still consider myself to be an electrician.
Does that fit in somewhere?

There is quite a fair bit of choice to choose from. If the poll was limited to apprenticeship vs short course I expect a different story would be told and more would tick short course.

I don't know what 'porky pies' you are trying to refer to.

There is quite a fair bit of choice to choose from. If the poll was limited to apprenticeship vs short course I expect a different story would be told and more would tick short course.

I don't know what 'porky pies' you are trying to refer to.

Outright lies, would just about sum the answer to your query!!

Outright lies, would just about sum the answer to your query!!

Fair enough, this is a anonymous internet forum so there probably are some liars on here. All I can say for certain is that I am not one. But I still don't see what you were trying to get at with the 'porky pies' reference. Are you trying to say DI's are not common on this site, or vice versa. I just dont get your point?

Are you trying to say DI's are not common on this site, or vice versa. I just dont get your point?

The implication is that short-course DI's are choosing to call themselves full electricians. Let's face it, most of the senior members here consider them little better than half-trained cable monkeys, at least the monkeys don't get ideas about going into business.

The implication is that short-course DI's are choosing to call themselves full electricians. Let's face it, most of the senior members here consider them little better than half-trained cable monkeys, at least the monkeys don't get ideas about going into business.

Bear in mind that given the hostility shown, most DI's on this site will probably just have ignored the poll and thread in general. I doubt anyone is ticking full apprenticeship for shts and giggles.

I didn't tick anything.
I got married halfway through the second year of my apprenticeship and had to earn more money so l was employed as a mate so l got the enhanced wage.
Then was promoted to " Improver " because l had some knowledge and was more than capable of working on my own.
Then decided to go back to college ( at my own expense) and did three years night school.
I have kept up with my regs exams as required. I am of the opinion that you never stop learning and I still consider myself to be an electrician.

Sure it does if you now a hold level 3 electrical technical qualification (2330, 2365, 2357) Plus the fact you were working within the industry while doing your night school course(s) so your skill/experience base is not brought in to question either....

If you can take the time and trouble to get your qualifications going to night school, it's a shame that these 17 day/Electrical Trainee's can't do the same, instead of getting every excuse under the sun why the Cant!!!

I didn't tick anything.

Thanks for contributing.

By the sounds of it, I'd suggest going for 'Electrician, Other'. Your apprenticeship was interrupted and you carried on later on a slightly different route, and it certainly wasn't a short course.

Lets see the names to the poll.?

As others have said, thats hardly fair.
Im probably going to get a flaming for this after seeing the quite frankly OTT responses from certain people here but i put my self down as engineer/other as its the only category i can fit into. Im not an electrician, never claimed to be nor am i currently training to be (although i hope that will change in the new year). Im a trained fire alarm engineer and am on this forum because a fair few on here do ask fire alarm questions. Im also eager to learn and enjoy reading.

The debate as to the use of that title has been done on other threads mate.
Just thought I'd get that in to try to save a bit of flaming.

As others have said, thats hardly fair.
Im probably going to get a flaming for this after seeing the quite frankly OTT responses from certain people here but i put my self down as engineer/other as its the only category i can fit into. Im not an electrician, never claimed to be nor am i currently training to be (although i hope that will change in the new year). Im a trained fire alarm engineer and am on this forum because a fair few on here do ask fire alarm questions. Im also eager to learn and enjoy reading.

Hairy muff.

Not that it matters,or anyone cares,I am an Engineer.
Note that i use a capital letter...I am immensely proud of that,and the journey made to deserve the title. It is the occupation title,in every vetting,CRB,insurance and report i have filled in,in the last 30 years.
But,if pushed,on an anonymous,yet thoroughly enjoyable forum,i will put "Inventor" and stand by it...:icon12:

Reply to Who Are You? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net