Discuss Who do you give the EIC or MWC to? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

O

Octopus

I'm coming across more and more clients who have Part P "certificate" but they haven't been given an EIC (or in some cases a MWC).

Irrespective of who "orders" the work, I always give a copy to the home owner .....

What do others do?

Just wondering................... if I am wasting my time doing the certs?

Likewise, but I've only ever come across one new customer that had been given a certificate for previous work, carried out by others.

I have been a qualified electrician for 32 years and in all that time i have never issued a MWC. Why,you ask? Nobody has ever asked me for one.I have my annual NIC inspection and they never ask to see any so why bother? I issue completion certificates and do EICR's which get a condition report but MWC...nope.I think you guy's are wasting your evenings filling them out.

I have been a qualified electrician for 32 years and in all that time i have never issued a MWC. Why,you ask? Nobody has ever asked me for one.I have my annual NIC inspection and they never ask to see any so why bother? I issue completion certificates and do EICR's which get a condition report but MWC...nope.I think you guy's are wasting your evenings filling them out.

Never issued them, or never filled any in at all?

Really, never... So what do you do if you add a socket or light to an existing circuit .......?

Do the job,do all the tests to make sure it's safe and get paid.
I am being serious when i say that no customers in 32 years have ever asked for a MWC.
The NIC/EIC have NEVER said 'Can we see your MWC certificates,please?'.
So if even they don't place much importance on them.
Nobody bothers with them so why should i spend time filling them in? As long as the job has been tested and deemed safe by myself then it's onto the next job:)

Really, every time I have my assessment (Elecsa), the assessors cherry picks them, be it MW or EIC. If you can get away without doing them, well lucky you. That said, your obviously keeping records, why not a MW?

I issue completion certificates if i change a consumer unit(and notify part 'p') and also if i have done a full rewire(which obviously includes a consumer unit).
But if i am called to add a couple of sockets or change a light fitting then i wouldn't issue any sort of certification.I can sometimes be doing 5-6 small jobs a day so my office work at night would be huge.It's bad enough having to fill out EICR's and issue invoices at night without adding to the workload.

Take a look at chapter 63, you should be providing certification including minor works.

I issue a lot of MWC, partly because some of my customers require one and also it provides a record of work done in case of future problems/faults.

Interesting responses so far ............

For the record I do not issue a MWC for a like to like replacement (buy will note the Zs on the invoice)

Reply to Who do you give the EIC or MWC to? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net