Discuss Who is the best to register with ? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

They're all rubbish and they all let in unqualified, inexperienced people. I kid you not its all a big scam. Just because you are part of a competent persons scheme doesn't mean anything. We register because we have to!

I think that they are all as bad as each other and just trying to make as much money as possible !

I have been an NICEIC approved contractor for over 25 years and they were OK in the early days, but now just keep trying to sell you insurance, training, tools etc

Well then i'll just take the cheapest option . personally i think niceic have advertised themselves as the "be all and end all" of domestic electrical which is unfortunately BS , I have a 2391 cert and tbh thought it was my ticket to prove that I am competent enough to put my signature on a cert , but since i've been doing the odd pj for mates building firms and they have been getting hassle for using a spark who is not affiliated when getting labc to sign off the job , i dont want to risk losing their business so i'm forced to either not bother or pay up .seems like the gas guys have it sorted

At one time or another I have had dealings with all the current registration bodies with the exception of Corgi and Stroma. The only one I would recommend is ECA/ELECSA as they are the only ones in my experience who are genuinely interested in the success of their members businesses. The helpline staff and assessors I have had contact with are all time-served sparks, not only do they know the regs but also the practical day-day stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally I see Elecsa as the weaker of the 3. I'm with NICEIC. They don't offer much assistance to be realy honest

I use elecsa and have no probs, I find they are more interested in helping you be a good sparky than trying to prove you're not. The two Elecsa guys I've met were both really sound.

Im with elecsa , true proffesional out fit with back up which is next to non and when i reached the final in screwfix britains to trades man and the electrical industry awards final there support was fantastic and be honest when your supported by a trade body like i was that have experianced and working sparks then thats the body i will stay with so its Elecsa / ECA for me

Every one of them is a scam,cant see what they do for their money tbh,especially when they charge for notifiction on top,£200 for annual assesment ,where does the other £200odd quid go. 'jobs for the boys'

I use Elecsa, I mostly went with them after reading NICEIC, Napit & Elecsa's websites etc and Elecsa seemed to be aimed a bit more in the 'one man band' (my opinion only) and cheaper at the time. I'm not sure that I'll bother renewing this year as the amount of notifiable work I actually do may as well be done through the LABC but I have until september to make my mind up.

dont bother with any anymore hand certs direct to labc, and would happily go to court and ask how comes i was competant for the five years i was a member but all of a sudden im not as i refuse to keep handing over cash to corrupt organisations who have no interest in the industry.

Every one of them is a scam,cant see what they do for their money tbh,especially when they charge for notifiction on top,£200 for annual assesment ,where does the other £200odd quid go. 'jobs for the boys'

Technical support is worth £200.00 a year ill tell you , and you have the backing of them belive you me if something goes wrong then they are with you

dont bother with any anymore hand certs direct to labc, and would happily go to court and ask how comes i was competant for the five years i was a member but all of a sudden im not as i refuse to keep handing over cash to corrupt organisations who have no interest in the industry.
I think we all should!!

I'm with Elecsa, seem fairly
Useful and not to dear.....
Only problem is people don't understand that if your not nic
You can still do the job.
Had lots of people say no cos your not nic!!

Can someone explain to me if eca and nic approved contractor are similar and cover for commercial and industrial??
If so I will join eca aswell as Elecsa for domestic
Thanks

Technical support is worth £200.00 a year ill tell you , and you have the backing of them belive you me if something goes wrong then they are with you

So who did we ask ask before we were a scam members,i'm not saying i know everything,but i would question my ability if i had to spend £200 on a technical helpline every year for domestic
works might be good value if your a plumber or kitchen fitter.Anyway advice on here is free and imo better because you get different opinions/advice!

Very satisfied with ECA/Elecsa - a friendly and professional organisation. My opinion is that since the ECA has taken control, they have really got their act together and now have a much higher profile within the industry.

In contrast, I've listened to some poor feedback about the NICEIC. The general concensus from my colleagues, is that they have turned into an outfit that's out to extract as much money as they can get away with from members. That suggests the NICEIC may not be value for money - is this fair to say ????

Very satisfied with ECA/Elecsa - a friendly and professional organisation. My opinion is that since the ECA has taken control, they have really got their act together and now have a much higher profile within the industry.

In contrast, I've listened to some poor feedback about the NICEIC. The general concensus from my colleagues, is that they have turned into an outfit that's out to extract as much money as they can get away with from members. That suggests the NICEIC may not be value for money - is this fair to say ????

yep im with NICEIC and also feel this way.

I cant see how technical support would be required by professional electricians (got the big book for anything we need to know) and the only time ive seen something go wrong was through a friend (who shouldnt of been allowed to register with a scheme in the first place) and the support and supposedly free legal support that was believed to be in with membership fees was totally shocking.

You may feel the need and justification of membership, im just relaying my (and known) experiences

I take it that this is something you agree/arrange with your LABC as I mentioned in my previous post, I am thinking of doing the same

Yes i believe most Labc would accept certs direct if you go to them with proof of qualifications/ experience, at the end of the day it saves them the trouble. The only problem with this method would be if you cover a lot of different authority areas. This isnt really an issue for me i knew the previous build inspector for many years via jobs he was checking on.

Reply to Who is the best to register with ? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock