Discuss Who is the best to register with ? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Yes i believe most Labc would accept certs direct if you go to them with proof of qualifications/ experience, at the end of the day it saves them the trouble. The only problem with this method would be if you cover a lot of different authority areas. This isnt really an issue for me i knew the previous build inspector for many years via jobs he was checking on.
This is certainly the case near me(show them your c&g quals) no need for comp persons scheme,feel like im wasting my money!

Well I left NIC after in 2007 after 2 years because I felt they were completely self interested and only interested in getting as much money out of me as possible. It also annoyed me that they advertised themselves as THE government body as opposed to A government body. Would rather be with none of them however Elecsa have proved to be good guys. My assessor is a very knowledgeable bloke, really has his finger on the pulse of what is happening in the industry which for a small business like me is very useful. Technical is useful too, they always call you back quickly.

NICEIC means nothing. It doesn't prove quality in any organisation with regard to electrical installations whatsoever. NICEIC were clearly formed by the Electrical Safety Council as a way of getting money out of businesses.

For one man to be qualified in a company as a QS, SOMEHOW means that ALL electricians who are employed by that business are skilled and qualified personnel. You could have a company with ONE approved electrician, and FIFTY labourers. Does that mean to say that THEY are BETTER than a company who have FIFTY approved electricians who are NOT NICEIC registered??! Because that's all you need don't forget, one qualfied man, and one guy who does H&S paperwork (principal duty holder). Every other person in the organisation, whether they are a CLOWN or not, fly under that flag of NICEIC.

But here's the irony: everyone will, some day, be a member of the NICEIC. Because why?

Because it's a sign of the times...

It's a joke, I'm with the eca and has lost 22 eicr jobs in a 3 month period.
Because I'm not niceic 'qualified'!!!
I am fully qualified a lot more qualified than half the nic lot around here.
When people realise its not a qualification and just a pay to join club things will be better. I'm having no choice ATM but to transfer to them to get the testing jobs.

The problem is that the NICEIC have been around a heck of a lot longer than any of the others and we find that most of the organisations that we work for automatically ask for an NICEIC approved contractor when electrical inspection work is required.

Unfortunately some of these companies have never even heard of Napit or Elecsa etc.

I was under the impression that ELECSA state that they would speak to 'organisations / councils' on a members behalf in cases where only NICEIC membership is specified.
Anyone tried to arrange this or heard of it happening?

It's a joke, I'm with the eca and has lost 22 eicr jobs in a 3 month period.
Because I'm not niceic 'qualified'!!!
I am fully qualified a lot more qualified than half the nic lot around here.
When people realise its not a qualification and just a pay to join club things will be better. I'm having no choice ATM but to transfer to them to get the testing jobs.

Talk to the ECA, I had a facility management company who would not deal with me as I wasn't NICEIC (I'm NAPIT) I contacted NAPIT and asked what are my options here and they emailed me over loads of info stating they are UKAS approved and my membership status was the same as a full scope NICEIC member.

After they read through I won the job and loads more afterwards

Give them a call, NICEIC are the biggest branded but others are moving in, I personally see the ECA as the weaker one (just my opinion)

I am with NAPIT, i find it really simple in terms of charging because it covers me for ervything i get involved with i.e. Domestic, PAT, EICR etc and i dont do much notifiable work so i dont pay anymore for notifying through them as you get credits with the annual subs. I do like their insurance and have saved alot, they also organised a trade show in my local town and i got all my test equipment calibrated for £10 a pop. As for the NICEIC well when i contacted them originally (twice) they never bothered to send me the joining pack, says it all really.
Job i am working on now was originally specified as NEIEIC, but i just told him i am with NAPIT told hime what it stood for emailed him the webpage link and he was fine. I know of one brewer who only allowed NIC and NAPIT members to work on their pubs but yet to be excluded from work.
Also have only used the technical help twice (both to do with DNO problems) and they gave me the info over the phone.
I understand that there is a under-current of dis-satisfaction with these bodies but i see them as a necessary evil and i get what i need from them.

I too was a member of Elecsa Approved Contractor scheme.
They are fantastic and their tech help is superb.

Unfortunately, I have had to leave them and join NICEIC Approved Contractor scheme, due to loosing about 4 big contracts for periodics and some smaller ones as well.

Elecsa did speak to the relevant councils but to no avail.

If only Elecsa promoted themselves more, radio, TV newspapers etc, then maybe people would get to know them more.
Shame really,
Sav

I too was a member of Elecsa Approved Contractor scheme.
They are fantastic and their tech help is superb.
Unfortunately, I have had to leave them and join NICEIC Approved Contractor scheme, due to loosing about 4 big contracts for periodics and some smaller ones as well.
Elecsa did speak to the relevant councils but to no avail.
If only Elecsa promoted themselves more, radio, TV newspapers etc, then maybe people would get to know them more.
Shame really,
Sav

I have tried to get the eca to do something. Although it seems to be insurance companies insisting on nic.
It's part of there own terms. Which bugs me.
Never mind, can't beat them join them lol.

Yep my main work is with the councils. NICEIC is a must, or you can just forget it.

I don't mind joining them. I don't see that as an issue. It's just when they print things in there publications that are wrong ( discussed on here i believe) and I remember some of the things the inspector came out with at my previous company. Makes me wonder what I'm getting into. Let alone how much more it costs lol.

Like most of the comments on here my company need to be NICEIC to carry the contracts out. I am the QS for my company and we have over 150 engineers, I have made a audit sheet that i carry out on my egineers to make sure that there workmanship is up to a high standard and that they working to the 17th. I assess them like i am assessed by the NICEIC. Like Mr Enigma said i hadnt heard of elesca untill i started this forum.

I'm not sure that insurance Insurance companies or any local authority have the right to exclude Government Approved providers. This smacks of monopoly trading that's open to all sorts of abuse and corruptive practices....

Not that i have any sympathies for any of these provers, but i can't see how any company or local government body can exclude other approved providers that offer exactly the same service!! Basically, this is unfair trading at it's worst...

Those poor other providers are being scammed! lol!!!

Lol. The thing is whos going to stop them......
I joined eca thinking that they would be equally recognised..... I was wrong.
I can't be bothered with the Agro of arguing and explaining every phone call for a EICR LOL!!

Reply to Who is the best to register with ? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net