Discuss Why Am I Having Problems Detecting Current At Wall Outlet With Gs38 Probe? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

berks1234

Hi,

I have purchased a Kewtech KT1780 Voltage Tester. But I can't get it to do a double pole test.

The instructions show the user inserting the probes into the wall outlet.

But I don't get any indication when I put the probes into the wall outlet.

Is it because the probes are too small?

I can put a LAP socket tester in there and get a result.

Thanks

probably the silly 2mm of metal probe exposed. same problem occurs on terminals. the plastic bottoms out without the metal end reaching the terminal to make contact.

Most likely cause is you haven't made contact due to outlet shuttering? I have a KT tester and it has been a good worker.

probably the silly 2mm of metal probe exposed. same problem occurs on terminals. the plastic bottoms out without the metal end reaching the terminal to make contact.

Hi, that is what I am thinking. It's annoying because I need it to be able to test outlets.

If you need to test wall outlets using that meter then you would need to buy a socket adaptor that allows you to get the probes onto a contact you could either get one of these and then possibly be able to get your probes onto the outlet terminals, or an adpater such as this and use crocodile clips on the ends to clip onto your tester.

If you do not need to use that tester then just use a plug in socket tester or for more detail a plug in energy monitor (that shows volts). Or if you can get a probe tip adapter that will contact the socket terminals and then your probes connect to the adapater (not sure if they are made as it bypasses GS38.)

Probably just easier to use a MFT and the supplied plug in lead or test from the terminals at the back.

Stick to what you are good at mate, because Electrics is obviously not you game
Sorry Berks, he may be right. I'm not having a go, but Take a look at the title of your topic! A two probe GS38 tester will not detect current.
It can only indicate the presence of voltage.

If you need to test wall outlets using that meter then you would need to buy a socket adaptor that allows you to get the probes onto a contact you could either get one of these and then possibly be able to get your probes onto the outlet terminals, or an adpater such as this and use crocodile clips on the ends to clip onto your tester.

If you do not need to use that tester then just use a plug in socket tester or for more detail a plug in energy monitor (that shows volts). Or if you can get a probe tip adapter that will contact the socket terminals and then your probes connect to the adapater (not sure if they are made as it bypasses GS38.)

Probably just easier to use a MFT and the supplied plug in lead or test from the terminals at the back.

Hi Richard,

This video highlights the problem that I am facing.

I purchased the item thinking that it could be my one and only solution. So I wouldn't have to use any other accessories.

I wanted something that was a bit safer than a DIY multimeter.

The bloke in the video got around it by removing the probe covers. But I would assume that this also removes the protection of GS38?

I could go out and by one of those socket adapters. But even he had trouble obtaining a reading with one.

Or it could be my sockets? I've tried using a DIY multimeter with 15mm probes and I still can't get a reading.
Anway, all want to be able to do is make sure that I am working safely and that I am not going to be working on any live circuits.

So my options are for making sure that I've safely isolated the supply are -

Buy one of those sockets as you suggested and put the probes in.

Or use a general socket tester to test for power, isolate the unit, and use the KT1780 for testing the wiring once I have removed the face plate.

The latter is probably better.

Thanks

Hi dude,the problem you describe,is not with the device you have chosen,it is with the nature of the test you require,and the item you are applying it to.
If you are requiring to test for safe isolation from the exterior of a socket outlet,this is not the equipment or method suitable.

The vast array of socket outlets manufactured over the last 50 years plus,makes probing from the user-side,a blind-fold joust of dubious certainty,bearing in mind the reason for needing to know.

Hi dude,the problem you describe,is not with the device you have chosen,it is with the nature of the test you require,and the item you are applying it to.
If you are requiring to test for safe isolation from the exterior of a socket outlet,this is not the equipment or method suitable.

The vast array of socket outlets manufactured over the last 50 years plus,makes probing from the user-side,a blind-fold joust of dubious certainty,bearing in mind the reason for needing to know.

Hi Peg, and this is what I am learning about.

I now realise that that this tool will not be able to detect voltage from the front of the outlet. Even though the instructions depict it. Maybe it's something to do with the outlets I have.

So if I will have to revert back to using my socket tester for that role.

The main reason why I purchased it was to help me to reliably confirm if the wiring inside, and/or behind the socket was live or not.

I want to be confident that the tool can help me to be 100% sure about working on the circuit. Because other tools have given me indifferent readings when I've attempted to go my through my isolation procedures.

I think it will work ok, but just not as the all in one tool like I wanted it too.

Buy one of these

jpg

Once you have isolated the supply do you have a known source to re check your meter? What it appears you are doing is potentially dangerous, watch the youtube clip below which will show you the correct procedure for safe isolation and testing, if you are working on electrical circuits you should also have a lock out kit. Years back my brother in law was working me in a property refurb one day and turned the electricity back on to make a cup of coffee when I thought it was isolated, ouch! Now I lock out everything, even if working at home it removes any doubt or even mistake on your part!

Once you have isolated the supply do you have a known source to re check your meter? What it appears you are doing is potentially dangerous, watch the youtube clip below which will show you the correct procedure for safe isolation and testing, if you are working on electrical circuits you should also have a lock out kit. Years back my brother in law was working me in a property refurb one day and turned the electricity back on to make a cup of coffee when I thought it was isolated, ouch! Now I lock out everything, even if working at home it removes any doubt or even mistake on your part!

Hi Roly,

I'm only testing the equipment and some of the principles around safe isolation.

The unit has a self test feature, but I might add a proving unit at some stage.

I don't intend to be working on electrics but it is a handy tool to have. Especially when I was getting faulty readings from ones!!

I used it this morning on an open plug and it worked as intended.
A reading of 230 when live and Rx when isolated.

It's a good bit of kit, just a shame that it can't work on my outlets.

generally, i'd use a socket tester on the outlet, isolate at source of circuit, check socket tester to see that it's "gone off", then lift the faceplate forward and use GS38 tester on terminals L-N, L-E, N-E. then lock off, once proved dead. usual before and after tests on tester using a known live source e.g. proving unit.

"blind-fold joust of dubious certainty" - @PEG that is one sweet bit of olde English you is utilising - 'respek'

I don't intend to be working on electrics but it is a handy tool to have. Especially when I was getting faulty readings from ones!!

I don't really understand why you would go to all the trouble of buying a meter and trying to understand how to use it if you don't plan on doing electrics.

Im not having a go but your knowledge seems "sketchy" to say the least. Maybe a phone call to a professional would be the safest option should you need something doing.

Reply to Why Am I Having Problems Detecting Current At Wall Outlet With Gs38 Probe? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net