Discuss Why are the Planets almost round? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Pete999

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Go on take the Mick not bothered, I couldn't sleep last night so I got up and started watching some NASA documentary's, one described how some Scientists reasoned that the Earth and the Moon, along with other planets within our Solar System, were created by giant collisions millenniums ago, so to my question, how come Planets areas near spherical as you can get for something as big as they are, surely if they were created by collisions they would be ragged in appearance, but most appear to be spherical, what do you all reckon? A bit deep for an early morning thread, but hey ho.

:confused:I am no expert but I would think it's something to do with the earth being molten in it's early life and the earth spinning at a very fast speed.Everything gets thrown outwards into a perfect circle as it spins.:confused:

you're all wrong.

upload_2018-8-14_8-8-3.jpeg

Love minecraft... but that's taking the thread off at a tangent again....
that's the answer to pete's question. it's to provide tangents that makes the planets round. only a circle has tangents.

Everything gets thrown outwards into a perfect circle as it spins.

More like, these is so much mass, that everything gets crushed into a sphere. Doesn't really matter if it's spinning or not.

If there is enough mass to create enough pressure and heat to turn the middle into liquid, it will squidge* into a sphere under it's own weight.

* squidge = highly technical term!! :p

More like, these is so much mass, that everything gets crushed into a sphere. Doesn't really matter if it's spinning or not.

If there is enough mass to create enough pressure and heat to turn the middle into liquid, it will squidge* into a sphere under it's own weight.

* squidge = highly technical term!! :p
Kin Hell a few Nobel Prize winning theories floating about today. Especially the "squidgy " theorem, love it.

Right!!!!!!!!!!!

I was listening to the Vine show some time ago. There were several believers explaining their theories. As to the edge of the world issue, apparently there's a massive ice wall, thats stops you falling off. Its located in Antarctica. Thats why the worlds main protagonist won't allow public access there. And the reason you see the curvature of the world from an airliner, is the pin cushion effect of the aircrafts windows o_O

Jagged lumps due to parts of the crust around the planet pressing against each other and being pushed up.
Also volcanic spouts of molten lava solidifying and creating mounds.
All this happens over millions of years and is hard for us to imagine.

A bit like waiting for a plumber to arrive

@rsgaz has it essentially right.

Any planet/planetoid of larger diameter than ~1000km (IIRC) will form a roughly spherical shape as its own weight is enough to overcome the rigidity of rock/iron-nickel so it 'squidges' together.

@telectrix

The earth is jagged to our perception, but in terms of the surface roughness vs overall diameter it's about as smooth as a billiard ball.

Reply to Why are the Planets almost round? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock