Discuss Why aren't regs books openly accessible? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Smudge

I think i know the answer, and it's just another way of fleecing money, but what is the justification for charging so much for copies of the regs books??
I am looking into installing a fire alarm system into a building on our factory site, and obviously, i want to completely comply with the regs. To do this, i need a copy of the relevant regs, which in this case is BS5839 '
Fire detection and fire alarm systems for buildings Code of practice for design, installation, commissioning and maintenance of systems in non-domestic premises'.

I have looked online and a copy of this will cost upwards of 200 quid?! BS7671 is around ÂŁ65. I can accept that the OSG, and guidance notes are more helpful books with regards user friendliness, and can, ahem, almost justify paying for these help books. BUT surely being a British standard, they should be readily available at least online for free?!?!

This wont be my last rant or tantrum today, bad day Thursdays are back.

What's wrong with making money? Are the engineers who research and write the regs supposed to work for nothing?

A BS should be available to all, free of charge whether electrical, paint thickness, brake fluid standards or how much cream in a chocolate eclair.
All BS should be available to the man in the street whether or not he can understand it.

Boydy

Nothing wrong in making a bit of money!! It wouldn't be so bad, if they made there minds up and not find the need to update via revisions every two years!! lol!!

Part of the answer is supply and demand. Some celeb "writes" an autobiography, three million people buy it, the publishers can afford to sell it cheaply because they know they'll get loads of money back very quickly. Put together something like the BGB, it's going to a small and limited market and might sit on the shelf for a long time before the money comes for it. And because of what it is it costs more to produce, with proper proof-reading, checking and editing.

PJ

What's wrong with making money? Are the engineers who research and write the regs supposed to work for nothing?

If they are enforcing it as a British standard, then yes, it should be free. The money could be made up the same way any other free book/website etc makes their money, advertising. HSE seem to do it for free, and i'm pretty sure they aren't doing it as a hobby (although you might think they are!).

Given the amount of errors in the BRB, rectified in the BGB (and likely bunging in some more in their place)
Seems their proof readers aren't up to much.........
I'd consider an e subscription (monthly/yearly/on demand charge) so I could pull up what I needed on a tablet or laptop....
but it would have to be on the basis of a sub to say BS7671 would have to give access to EVERY edition on file as part of the sub.

Wiring Regulations Digital, e-books - IET Electrical

excluding the superseded editions, which (as you don't get a hard copy to keep for when the next revision comes around) I agree is a good idea

I'm not sure about it being for free but they could certainly bring the price down to a sensible amount. There's no reason an electronic version of the regs should cost more than a few quid and there's no reason you should need to pay the full price again when a new edition comes out although if it was only a few quid for a copy you probably wouldn't mind too much.

Reply to Why aren't regs books openly accessible? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net