Discuss Why aren't ring circuits banned? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Is is not ideal to have immersions on a ring final but they are nearly always on the lightly loaded bedroom circuit. Can only assume the 20A was put on because it wasn't switched through a FCU?

Immersions on rings should be less of an issue nowadays. With modern Central heating people us a lot less electric heaters so ring loading is often less than it would have been when elec was cheap.
I have two family members who rely on the immersion for hot water.

Awhile ago I watched a vid from the Learning Lounge, by Dave Austin (no it's not out on Blue ray) demonstrating testing of a RFC. There was a footnote, that the EU were going to phase out RFC's, can't find a citation for that. But now we have Brexit, we can forget about that :D

I'm about to drop power into my new Summer house. Only need 3 double sockets (4mx3m floor area) So had considered 3 radials but its actually easier and less cable to do it as a small ring and at the CU I only have 2 ends to deal with not 3.

I'm about to drop power into my new Summer house. Only need 3 double sockets (4mx3m floor area) So had considered 3 radials but its actually easier and less cable to do it as a small ring and at the CU I only have 2 ends to deal with not 3.

Surely power requirements of expected connected loads play a bigger part in your choice of circuit rather than the number of ends to deal with ?

It will only be low power usage. A computer workstation plus a TV and a few network switches. Probably less than 1KW
Initially no heating for this summer but end of summer a heat pump so that will be on a dedicated feed.
So power isn't an issue. Neat cabling can come into play.
One socket is under the CU the other 2 the other end of the summer house so I'd be running a feed to each anyway. To make it a ring I just connect the 2 end sockets and the first socket near the CU loops one of the legs through it via than direct.

With all 3 doubles on it?
Or just the end 2 doubles on the radial?
The return ring leg is 6 meters of cable. I'd prefer to drop that in and have it as a ring but radials would work fine of course.

Yes at 2.5mm T&E I'd be limited to 20A but will have a 16A breaker anyway.
I would save 6m of 2.5...
Not sure what's happening yet with under floor insulation but I don't think that will have much impact.

A radial for each socket in a summerhouse? Am I missing something here?? Daz

I have a hot tub coming off the CU in the summer house and need some capacity later for the heatpump.
Don't need more than 16A don't even need that. I'd rather the local 16A breaker tripped should some idiot add 6 electric fire in the future.

RFC were supposedly designed just after or during WWII, because of copper shortage, although other reports/pieces dispute this. But I suppose a RFC at it's maximum design length, achieving an acceptable Zs result. Whereas a 4mm radial, with similar acceptable Zs result, would possibly have to be made from two radials, therefore costing more in materials?

Is is not ideal to have immersions on a ring final but they are nearly always on the lightly loaded bedroom circuit. Can only assume the 20A was put on because it wasn't switched through a FCU?
\
It was a spur off the ring with no fcu . 16 amp rcbo sorry . It did feed an fcu to some external lights / now disconnected due to faied insulation when connected. Give this man a free xmas tree !

Reply to Why aren't ring circuits banned? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net