Discuss Why aren't ring circuits banned? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Absolutely hate them! Can't see a place for them in a domestic situation.
Have spent 6 hours this week repairing one. ( boiler mounted over socket with broken
CPC + multiple non-compliant spurs)
I ve got another 3 to repair on other jobs - can't wait!

Why not put a FCU on the immersion so you can upgrade to 32A.
They are going to have a combi fitted so spur being removed. Also populated cu so can split this ring to feed 2 x bed sockets only and use the return to go on an 6 amp rcbo and put the outside light on there own curcuit . PS my name is Kevin and im a kitchen fitter .

Only went to fit the Kitchen n got this = pic

all the house was on on 1 general Failed tested rcd and when she put the electric heaters on as the rads where off (boiler change) the house shut down . The light ins tests are.85

Any one near Prestwich Manc want this one ? LOL

Why aren't ring circuits banned? 20161116_080827 - EletriciansForums.net

Last edited:
Absolutely hate them! Can't see a place for them in a domestic situation.
Have spent 6 hours this week repairing one. ( boiler mounted over socket with broken
CPC + multiple non-compliant spurs)
I ve got another 3 to repair on other jobs - can't wait!
So you hate them because somebody poorly installed one?

I for one do not understand this thread, RFC are the recognised circuit,been going for decades.Is the dislike just pure laziness.?Is the today Electrician unable to fault such a circuit or even able to install it.? This is annoying me big time."!!

The today electriciam are able to fault find it. I was is fault finding when I done found the fault what made me post this.

The today electriciam are able to fault find it. I was is fault finding when I done found the fault what made me post this.
I read your OP, they weren't even about in 1949, it was all radials 15amp at that, with electric trees growing out of them. Do you know what I am saying.?

Just to add, PVC was not in till the late 50's, I for one have never seen RFC wired in VIR rubber never.! But if so I stand corrected.

Now you mention it I think you're right, not that I've seen much VIR

Slight side track, who knows the cause of 'weeping' older cables and green copper? I had it at the back of my mind it was a bad type of plasticiser that was used but I'm not certain.

Now you mention it I think you're right, not that I've seen much VIR

Slight side track, who knows the cause of 'weeping' older cables and green copper? I had it at the back of my mind it was a bad type of plasticiser that was used but I'm not certain.
Yes you are correct, with the early pvc cable, nothing wrong with it other than quite messy, just wipe it off. green gooey mess.

I have never experienced this Andy. Learning all the time.

One example was a house with estimated 40+ year old twin pvc cable. Only one circuit had evidence of goo, the downstairs lighting, but it was evident at all points on the circuit. All circuits displayed degraded insulation values, but this circuit was by far the worst.
It had been running at around 6-7A for decades due to chandeliers full of 60W lamps. My theory is that the heat involved in the load combined with the already degraded insulation helped to displace the plasticiser which added to the cable degradation, and so on and so on.
No goo was present in any of the other circuits of the same age, but these had probably not seen a sustained load as high in relation to their CCC.

Only a theory mind you and I would wecome education from others experiences.

This is exactly what my house was like when I moved in, the lighting circuit had the green goo but the other circuits didn't, and I believe they were all of the same age.

Reply to Why aren't ring circuits banned? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock