Discuss Why aren't ring circuits banned? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

The green goo is a component of the insulation and should not give poor IR readings.

If the goo is a component of the insulation, and it's running out of the ends of the cable, is this not indicative of a breakdown of the insulation ?
In my example there were poor IR readings on all circuits mind you, but the worst featured on the gooey circuit. The insulation was also physically degraded on this circuit, being brittle and cracking at the stripped ends.This could have been just due to current related heating, but I feel that lack of a plasticising agent cannot have helped.

The video Dave posted does describe the fault, if you have a watch. I've come across it numerous times and I advise my client and referenced this pdf file;
http://www.napitonline.com/downloads/CP 6 07 P 28 Ask Eddie Green Slime.pdf
Quoting from it;
'The green slime is Di-isoctyl Phthalate. It is a bi-product of a reaction between the plasticiser in the insulation and the copper conductor. This plasticiser had an anti-oxidant added to it between 1965 and 1971 – and so is not so common, although these symptoms could have become more noticeable following the installation of a central heating system, for example, as it is thought that high ambient temperatures accelerate the process'.

In the situations I've encountered, mostly minor works, the IR readings have been acceptable but lower than other similar installations not affected by slime. In these instances, my client's have chosen not to replace cabling. However on one job, the green slime was quite bad at the light switches and in numerous JB's under the floor. In this instance, my client decided to rewire. But his decision was influenced by the poor general state or the wiring, diy additions made and the fact that he was renovating the property.

This fault will affect the flexibility of the cables, so will not present an issue, until cables are moved. Most likely, when the client has swanky new metal pate fittings installed!

Personally, if I found this in a property I had bought, I would rewire regardless of any test results. We are talking of cabling over 45 years old, and at some point would require rewiring in any case.

I have just googled it, and they do say it came out after the war, Rubbish all the rewires I have done in that era, it is all radials, the RFC took off big time in the early 60's.

Hi my house (built 1960) had a one RFC for all sockets in rubber insulated. Most of the insulation crumbled as I removed the cables. I will have look through later for some pictures but I think I only took a few of the lighting circuit as the rubber had melted in thatone.

All types of circuit have their place !
Generally find people who like radials test with a plug in socket only and hope all the sockets work.. Saves time having to do continuity test and limit everything else out. Tick for continuity only with no values. Fell about laughing first time I saw it on a test sheet. Often happens in Europe as often don't need need to be a sparks to sign off tickets just need to have a degree in any subject. Madness but still don't seam to have loads of deaths from it.

Reply to Why aren't ring circuits banned? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net