Discuss Why bother to register in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys

OK so here's my post I've been an electrician for some time and have worked both employed and self employed as most of you probably have.. I been with elecsa when they first started out and stroma. But as times moved on I don't want to do large installs.. I'm content with socket changes and light fittings etc.. So why should I bother joining a competant body scheme anymore. I'm not interested in fuse board changes or rewires. Am I reading the rules correct here. Or am I talking poo

Hi Taz - the CPS membership is most useful for the building regs Part P notifications to Council. If you aren't doing work that falls under Part P, then it's of limited value I guess.

there is a benefit to me to being registered with NICEIC, regardless of how many of the jobs that I do need notifying, it allows me to take work from insurance companies and is also required by other people who stipulate scheme membership(any of them) to do the repairs in properties, guess they look at it as a means of verifying you are not a complete plum. as you would have insurance, qualifications etc. it lets them cover their own backsides by saying the niceic said he was competent!

I was registered with a scheme, but since binned being a domestic sparks. I only did small works, which was mainly kitchen & bathroom refurbs and a few CU changes.

However, I don't see I could of done that (without being in a scheme), even discounting CU changes and the bathroom thing. Depends on your turn over perhaps. Schemes do have advantages, like tech support for the sole trader, on-line certification and the stupid little motif you can put on your van, business paperwork etc.

Totally agree and def the opinion I had years ago when I first started on my own. I look back and think about how many customers actually said can I see your registration details / card. And the total was zero. Also let's be honest the assessments are pretty useless if were being fair. I'm not penny pinching I just think OK I'm a spark(proper) lol.. And I'm at the stage in life we're I wanna do maintenance work.. The odd small bit here and there and when you think about what really needs notifying these days. It just dosent seem worth it. I can prove my qualifications if needed.

I'm with Stroma (for costs reasons) my notifiable work is probably 24 jobs per year

What I do when I "slow down" is not decided ............. but the fact that I'm assessed once a year means my insurance, calibration and knowledge are "checked" once a year.

Many Handymen have none of this .....................

I'm rebelling guys.. I'm saying this right.. We go to college we earn our certificates and we get our on site experience. Yes I agree we get a little rusty and in honesty a little cheeky when we test. BUT.. We should have the core experience. So for the sake of a handful of notifiable works which I might add has shrunk over the years .. Why do we bother..

I'm rebelling guys.. I'm saying this right.. We go to college we earn our certificates and we get our on site experience. Yes I agree we get a little rusty and in honesty a little cheeky when we test. BUT.. We should have the core experience. So for the sake of a handful of notifiable works which I might add has shrunk over the years .. Why do we bother..

You just need to go with the flow. Or waste your time petitioning your local MP.

I’m having the same thoughts at the moment. Just starting out self employed after mainly commercial site work.
Most of the jobs I’m getting asked to quote are non notifiable so I think I’m right in that I can just issue my a minor work cert and that’s that.
I guess I’ll end up joining one eventually

Reply to Why bother to register in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net