Discuss "Why do we bother" rant ................... in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Spoon

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Ok. A friend on mine had some sockets in her house with swapped polarity.
Her hubby Googled for an electrician.
They have come and spend 2 days fixing the problem. Hubby (or DC) would not tell his missus who he had got or what they were doing.
Yesterday the 'electricians' were round, fixing the problem. She had to leave work to chat with them. They have an unmarked van.
Now they have fixed the problem and given him the bill.

I have told my mate that they need a cert for the work done and not to pay until they get one.

She told hubby this and he's not bothered about a cert. The 'electricians' have told him he doesn't need a cert.

I have strongly advised them they need one. He's still not bothered about getting one.

WHY...... This makes me soooooooo frustrated... What a complete and utter d1ck cheese he is...

That's not very clear Spoon.
Do you mean she had reverse polarity in some sockets?, how did she know?
Did it take 2 days to sort out?
What does it say on the bill?

Sorry Andy. Yes, its not very clear. The info I have been given is very limited and not that clear. I've given up trying to find out what has happened as my mates hubby is giving bugger all info out.
Story is: This is what I've been told......
They needed a lifeline button added. the lifeline installer said they has problems with their electrics, so couldn't install it.
The hubby googles for an electrician to come and fix the problem. Seems there are about 4 sockets upstairs with L & N swapped.
The electricians were there for 2 days. Not sure how long they were there for. Just that they were there yesterday and the day before.
I have told them they need a cert for the work. The hubby is not bothered about getting one. also, apparently, the electricians have told him he doesn't need one.

Does seem strange, I can't comment on the need for a cert as I don't know what they did exactly.
I will say that 2 days to sort out this problem seems excessive to me.

I can't comment on the need for a cert as I don't know what they did exactly.

I presume that the affected socket wiring has been fixed. Then wouldn't they test the circuit? Therefore they would need a cert.
When would they not need a cert Andy?... The electricians may be right.

I will say that 2 days to sort out this problem seems excessive to me.

Only found out yesterday what the problem was. Until then all the hubby would tell his missus was "its complicated..."

Does seem excessive, two days to fix swapped live & neutrals on four sockets. Perhaps it was more than that. problem with the RFC perhaps?

Apparently they were having problems finding the fault. Had lots of floor boards up and stuff.

I think they've been had, how can a cable get it's polarity get reversed under the floorboards?
Even so, 2 days to lift a couple of boards? I've rewired houses in less time than that.
I'd love to know what was written on the invoice.

I think they've been had, how can a cable get it's polarity get reversed under the floorboards?
Even so, 2 days to lift a couple of boards? I've rewired houses in less time than that.

That's if they have an invoice... :tearsofjoy:

It's what the Lifeline and electricians have said. Somehow 4 sockets have been b affected.
They have not touched the electrics since they have moved in. It seems the past woner was a bit of a DIYer... Not a good one...

Does sound like theyve been had from the info we've got.

A simple plug tester & a walk around checking would have found them quickly.

http://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/kewtec...gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CNHglaqO3tUCFUWoUQoduacCcQ

Does sound like theyve been had from the info we've got.

A simple plug tester & a walk around checking would have found them quickly. /QUOTE]

Finding the sockets was easy.. Apparently fixing where they were swapped over wasn't.

Knowing whether they have been had or not can only be ascertained if we know the initial fault and the works required to remedy it.

Apparently the initial fault was swapped polarity on 4 upstairs sockets.
Not sure what work was carried out to fix the problem.

I'm more curious why the electricians say they don't need a cert...

Reply to "Why do we bother" rant ................... in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net