Discuss "Why do we bother" rant ................... in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Ok, please excuse my ignorance now but what should the general public ask for when they get an electrician to do some work?
I know they don't need to be part of a scheme.
So what would we ask to see?

Ok, please excuse my ignorance now but what should the general public ask for when they get an electrician to do some work?
I know they don't need to be part of a scheme.
So what would we ask to see?

Stroma insisted on giving me a photo ID card .................. not sure why, its collecting dust in a drawer now.

Some clients want cheap, as possible ................ nothing else matters.....

Does sound like theyve been had from the info we've got.

A simple plug tester & a walk around checking would have found them quickly.

Sorry mate. I've just got what you were getting at.. It's just me and my rubbish explanation.
Apparently the wire colours to the sockets were correct but the polarity was not. Somewhere the polarity had been changed. That's why they had the floor boards up.

A fault with a RFC (or any circuit for that matter) can take some time to locate, unless you strike lucky, and certainly if a diy'er has been let loose with JB's a plenty under the floors. I'm not one of those that are emphatic that a certificate should be provided, every time you cross the threshold, but to fix a fault like this, would normally involve some testing, and certainly to prove it's all in order to re-energise. So I see no reason not to provide one, only other than what Murdoch was suggesting.

If you friend is being a bit cagey, perhaps he feels a bit embarrassed, if he feels he's been had over? Difficult to tell from here, as Westward suggested.

A fault with a RFC (or any circuit for that matter) can take some time to locate, unless you strike lucky, and certainly if a diy'er has been let loose with JB's a plenty under the floors

That's why Ive been more concerned with them getting a cert.

Update:
This is what they said they have done:

We've basically put a new supply and rcbo in and connected it to the house sockets which are now fault free. The original cable still has a fault on it. It has no load so it should be ok until you do the garage at which point it might be possible to trace it back and find the actual fault location. Anyway we've sorted it were others did not.

I really don't think that we're in a position to suggest that the electricians were in the wrong with next to no knowledge of the work involved.

I'm not trying to blame anyone mate. Just think that the electricians need to give them a cert for the work.

Why do I feel like you guys are being sarkie when rating my post #30 :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:
Ok, I've stated the obvious....

Update:
This is what they said they have done:

We've basically put a new supply and rcbo in and connected it to the house sockets which are now fault free. The original cable still has a fault on it. It has no load so it should be ok until you do the garage at which point it might be possible to trace it back and find the actual fault location. Anyway we've sorted it were others did not.

A new circuit, so it's an EIC and a Part P Buildings Approval needed, I'd have thought. Any evidence of testing?

If I understand correctly, it's new circuit. So it's an EIC and a Part P Buildings Approval needed, I'd have thought. Any evidence of testing?

You are correct. It does sound like a new circuit.
Not sure what tests were carried out.

Any chance you are going to be able to investigate yourself.

Not sure mate. Not sure hubby want me interfering in what he is doing.
Its really hard to get info from him about this apparently.
All i can do is advise and see if he listens.....
I have offered to chat to the electricians. Get their side of what was discussed and what was actually said.
Half of me just wants to say 'sod you' and just leave him to it.....

Reply to "Why do we bother" rant ................... in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net