Discuss Why does AFDD protection need to be per circuit? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

spud1

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hi again!

Why does AFDD protection where provided need to be installed per circuit instead one AFDD covering several circuits, like for example RCDs in domestic split load CUs?

Is there a technical reason or is it another manufacturers money making myth!?

Thanks.

Probably for the same reason RCBOs are preferable to split RCD boards... we should be looking to minimise disruption in the event of a fault. Plus, it makes fault finding a hell of a lot easier if you know which circuit you're looking at to begin with.
True and I absolutely agree with maximising selectivity for minimising inconvenience during a fault and facilitating easy fault finding, but I was under the impression that AFDD protection HAD to be per circuit?

From the regs:-

532.6 Arc fault detection devices (AFDDs)
Where specified, arc fault detection devices shall be installed:
(i) at the origin of the final circuits to be protected, and
(ii) in AC single-phase circuits not exceeding 230 V.

And.....

421.1.7 Arc fault detection devices conforming to BS EN 62606 are recommended as a means of providing additional protection against fire caused by arc faults in AC final circuits.

If used, an AFDD shall be placed at the origin of the circuit to be protected.

NOTE: Examples of where such devices can be used include:
• premises with sleeping accommodation
• locations with a risk of fire due to the nature of processed or stored materials, i.e. BE2 locations (e.g. barns
woodworking shops, stores of combustible materials)
• locations with combustible constructional materials, i.e. CA2 locations (e.g. wooden buildings)
• fire propagating structures, i.e. CB2 locations
• locations with endangering of irreplaceable goods.

And.....

421.1.7 Arc fault detection devices conforming to BS EN 62606 are recommended as a means of providing additional protection against fire caused by arc faults in AC final circuits.

If used, an AFDD shall be placed at the origin of the circuit to be protected.

NOTE: Examples of where such devices can be used include:
• premises with sleeping accommodation
• locations with a risk of fire due to the nature of processed or stored materials, i.e. BE2 locations (e.g. barns
woodworking shops, stores of combustible materials)
• locations with combustible constructional materials, i.e. CA2 locations (e.g. wooden buildings)
• fire propagating structures, i.e. CB2 locations
• locations with endangering of irreplaceable goods.
Thanks for this SparkyChick, So its confirmed then, the regs definately want us to install per circuit, but I just wonder why? Is it purely to do with Selectivity or is there a more practical/technical reason for it?
If it was to do with Selectivity surely the same argument could be made for earth fault (RCD) protection and split load/dual RCD boards would become a thing of the past.

From the regs:-

532.6 Arc fault detection devices (AFDDs)
Where specified, arc fault detection devices shall be installed:
(i) at the origin of the final circuits to be protected, and
(ii) in AC single-phase circuits not exceeding 230 V.
What SC said

Very good point !
RCD's are also at the "origin of the circuit" I don't take that as necessarily individual to each circuit. It may be more to do with the operation of the device itself, but cannot see why split load AFDD's would not work
Very good point. At the origin of the circuit is positioning, not Selectivity Light bulb moment!

Are only final circuits to be protected and not sub main/ distribution circuits?
Difficult to compare AFDDs with RCDs as a sub main circuit usually has additional protection (SWA) so may not need RCD protection.
Surely an Arc can occur on a sub main circuit as well as a final circuit.

It is possible that multiple circuits may have too much noise on them, the unit has to decide what is an arcing fault and what isn't, take your vacuum motor or fridge, it needs to know the arcing on the brushes is not a fault so I expect the more it is looking at the harder it is and possibly nuisance tripping thus follows.
This is my theory anyway, don't take it as gospel but it would make sense.

It is possible that multiple circuits may have too much noise on them, the unit has to decide what is an arcing fault and what isn't, take your vacuum motor or fridge, it needs to know the arcing on the brushes is not a fault so I expect the more it is looking at the harder it is and possibly nuisance tripping thus follows.
This is my theory anyway, don't take it as gospel but it would make sense.
Just reading all of this topic I’ve been installing new CCU’s since 18th came into force and noticed couple of changes one being the new rcds have an earth fault indicator on the rcds another being the Rcd trip times on the Hager fuse boards are rather high although complient typical values are x1 89.5 and x5 40.0 these readings are far higher than the old Hager fuse boards which i typically would get x1 19.8 x5 10.5 these are just averages but changed dramatically since the new fuse boards came out

Hager released a memo on their required test currents. Need testing at 200 or 250 mA for 5x I think from memory
that would mean all of us having to replace our MFTs with ones that do 200-250mA instead of 150mA.:mad::mad::mad:

Reply to Why does AFDD protection need to be per circuit? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock